IPSF reef pack to add diversity?

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank crashed four years ago and I lost everything, I am looking at getting a reef pack from IPSF to hopefully make my tank healthy with a mix of different organisms. One of the main reasons for doing this is that it's the only way I can get Strombus Maculatus snails for my tank again, can't find them anywhere else! They currently have low stock on these snails, but said I could get 6 if I want to purchase a reef pack. I am trying to decide what else to add to the pack. Here is what I am looking at! I get to chose 9 items.

1. 6 Strombus Maculatus snails (love these, they reproduce in your tank)
2. 6 Nerite Grazers
3. 6 Littorinid Grazers
4. 6 MicroHermits™ (Calcinus sp.)
5&6. 2 Chaeto Algae (counts as 2)
7. Amphipods

The next two I am not sure of, but they would add a lot of diversity!
8. Wonder Mud:
A seawater-based slurry of fine-grained calcium carbonate-based sediments, shell fragments, aerobic organic detritus, beneficial bacteria and marine micro-invertebrates taken fresh daily from our Salt Pond Ecosystem Tanks after more than five years of exposure to continuously flowing, unfiltered reef seawater. Each bag of WonderMud contains several to many specimens of Reef Amphipods, Mama Mia Worms, Baby Bristle Worms, baby shrimps, baby snails and as a very diverse assemblage of reef phytoplankton and zooplankton. Add WonderMud to existing sand substrate in new or established marine aquarium tanks to increase micro-biotic diversity.
9. Live sand activator:
Biologically active live aragonite sand taken fresh daily from our reverse-flow biofilters, supplemented with a diverse mix of MicroHermits (6 specimens), tiny worms, tiny 'pods, and grazing gastropod snails (6 specimens). Use immediately after unpacking your shipment. Contents are alive! Mix sand and invertebrates with existing sand substrate in new or established marine aquarium tanks.

I am also thinking of adding 6 mini stars!

Has anyone used one of these packs, is there anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those packs make no difference in long term stability, they are excellent biodiversifiers. the feed they provide to corals is optional but awesome, frozen feeds also stand-in just fine, and the algae eating they perform may or may not keep up with demands so they are incidental there, humans have the final say in all aquariums as to what grows on the rocks, in every aquarium in the world. the algae wrecked ones are the ones where the algae was left in place on purpose for one reason or another with good intent.

adding those is a great idea independent of tank stability, and if I could buy a smaller amount of that mix from my store for my reef I would.

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the pack when I started up my tank. I don't think you can double up on any items (the chaeto 5&6).

I love the Mud and Sand Activator, lots of life & diversity in there. My only suggestion would be depending on your sand, don't mix it in an obvious spot. I have nice, semi fine white sand, and the rubble that comes in the mud stands out like a sore thumb. I tried to bury it, but for some reason I put it near the front of my tank and it makes the sand look dirty on that side because of the size of the shells and rocks that are in it. Nothing bigger than a pencil eraser but still pretty obvious in my sandbed.

The baby bristle worms have done amazing work in my sand bed and in my refugium even though I was afraid to add them lol. I don't have any sand in my refugium, but they live in the rocks and chaeto and keep it quiet clean. They reproduce like crazy as well.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank used to have tons more pods and worms when I was feeding regularly, now it gets the sparse treatment and they've thinned 90%. wish I had 1 cup worth of a booster pack these guys ought to sell pico reef boosters for fifteen bucks id pay.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brandon!

When I first set up my tank, I loved looking into it and seeing what I could find that I hadn't seen before. I love the tiny organisms almost as much as the fish & corals. The only thing I really didn't like as much were the bristle worms, but I knew that they served a purpose, I just don't want the population to get to big. I'm not familiar with the spaghetti worms, but read that they are also beneficial, I think I would feel the same way about them as the bristle worms. I had a friend in Spokane that gave me a huge amount of chaeto and it had a ton of other organisms in it including the Strombus snails. He is no longer reefing and I don't have anyone close that I can get them from.

I used the pack when I started up my tank. I don't think you can double up on any items (the chaeto 5&6).

I love the Mud and Sand Activator, lots of life & diversity in there. My only suggestion would be depending on your sand, don't mix it in an obvious spot. I have nice, semi fine white sand, and the rubble that comes in the mud stands out like a sore thumb. I tried to bury it, but for some reason I put it near the front of my tank and it makes the sand look dirty on that side because of the size of the shells and rocks that are in it. Nothing bigger than a pencil eraser but still pretty obvious in my sandbed.

The baby bristle worms have done amazing work in my sand bed and in my refugium even though I was afraid to add them lol. I don't have any sand in my refugium, but they live in the rocks and chaeto and keep it quiet clean. They reproduce like crazy as well.

That is good to know! I was thinking of adding most of it to my refugium. The mud for sure anyway. My sand sounds to be the same as yours! Thanks!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem that faces hobbyist today is that we do not or can not get good quality live rock. When the whole Berlin system started we where able to get rock straight from the ocean to tank over night. With little die off. I spent many nights going to Delta Dash terminal helping club members pick up rock. With that rock came all the animals both good and bad that creates a healthy reef system. Today we try to do this with total dead rock that is devoid of anything.
There is a web of life that supports a healthy reef tank copepods,bacteria and algaes most hobbyist jump right in before getting these animals in place.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem that faces hobbyist today is that we do not or can not get good quality live rock. When the whole Berlin system started we where able to get rock straight from the ocean to tank over night. With little die off. I spent many nights going to Delta Dash terminal helping club members pick up rock. With that rock came all the animals both good and bad that creates a healthy reef system. Today we try to do this with total dead rock that is devoid of anything.
There is a web of life that supports a healthy reef tank copepods,bacteria and algaes most hobbyist jump right in before getting these animals in place.

I thought about buying some live rock, but I already have enough rock in my tank. The rock I have, had to be soaked in muriatic acid and baked in the sun. That is why I am thinking about getting one of these packs. Hopefully, I won't get any of the undesirable creatures with it. I can't imagine having a tank with just, fish, snails, corals and crabs. The tiny organisms are just as important, not to mention way cool!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received coralline algae from Indo Pacific. Yesterday always get a lot for your money.
16352f3e27d05c90b09a46351b616b19.jpg

One of the coralline algae plates

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty impressive! I might have to get one of those when I buy my reef pack.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has finished cycling, yay! So I sent off an email to Gerald @ IPSF this morning. I'm just waiting to hear from him to finalize my order. Here is what I'm getting. I took the Chaeto off the list as I've already received some! At this point I think this should be a good start for a clean up crew. I probably won't be placing my Purple Firefish in the tank for another couple of weeks. I also have a Pom Pom crab (my favorite) and 3 Halloween hermits. Any suggestions for additions or does this sound good for now? Thank you!!!

6 Strombus snails
6 Nerite Grazers
6 Littorinid Grazers
6 Micro hermits
3 Adult hermits
Reef Amphipods
Wonder Mud
Live Sand Activator
Hermit Homes

Plus
6 Mini Stars (I had these before, love them)
6 Comet Stars
Coralline Algae Booster Plates

Bonus
6 Mini Stars

Last edited:

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know yet what you will be getting?
Planing on
tuneup pack
Mix and match
3 of the tang heaven
Sargassium
Cheto
Wonder mud
Live sand
Nirites
Micro hermits
Live reef plankton
Mini stars
Momma mia worms
A cucumber
And a leather

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the Strombus what they call Hawaiian grazers? I don't see strombus listed anywhere

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't believe so. I contacted IPSF and asked them if they still had them available. Gerald told me that their supply had gotten very low, but if I wanted to get some they would include 6 in my order of the Mix & Match pack. These snails reproduce in your tank. I had hundreds of babies when my tank went down. They like to lay eggs on the glass. I can't imagine my tank without them.

Strombus Maculatus snail!
StrombusSnail.jpg

Here is what the eggs look like!
Snaileggs.jpg

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed my order. Shipping is free via FedEx. Should arrive next week!!!

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them years ago before a tank crash and never found them for sale

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IPSF is the only place that you can buy them from. I got my first bunch from a friend who is no longer in the hobby! You might be able to get the same deal that I did. The snails counted as one selection in the Mix & Match special! Gerald is very nice to work with and usually responds very quickly!

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My order arrived yesterday, so I thought I'd share a couple of pictures.

Mini Stars, Asterina's and a few Bristle Worms!
20151028_141317.jpg

Live Sand Activator!
20151028_131646.jpg

Wonder Mud!
20151028_131618.jpg

They also included a free ball of Chaeto!
20151028_131602.jpg

Godzilla Crab (named by my daughter) He did laps around the tank, over rocks, back around the tank. He never stopped!
20151028_144005.jpg

Everything arrived in excellent condition!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey do I have the ability to just order the first part in the clear bowl that's great

Didn't know if they offer just that part I don't have the space for the rest it's 1 gal total

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back