Is calcium reactor worth the buck?

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic is the prefilter on the feed line. I found wrapping it in this bag did not restrict flow but kept out large pieces of detrius from clogging the line and slowing flow.
I've read much of the clogging tends to come from the media itself, which is why I suggested the pre-filter after the reactor. Sounds like that hasn't been an issue for you though.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read much of the clogging tends to come from the media itself, which is why I suggested the pre-filter after the reactor. Sounds like that hasn't been an issue for you though.
No but I do run reverse flow with bones. I believe the reverse flow helps. I have never has an effluent clog.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm no feed pump for me, haven’t had any issues pulling (yet). Pushing I did, quickly found my reactor wasn’t sealing around the ph probe. Easy enough fix. Why would I want to pressurize the system?

Some reactors just tend to suck in air at random times when run at negative pressures. This air does not dissolve and is a PITA to vent from the system. Slight positive pressure also helps CO2 gas dissolve - but this is not the real reason I recommend avoiding negative pressure. If your reactor never fills with bubbles when you run it on suction, you are fine.

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old Korallin C1502 reactor that has not been used for years. But I just started really stocking up my DT with SPS.
So I may get use out of it eventually.
Also debating getting a Apex Trident and just using a DOS machine.
Easier then maintaining a CO2 tank (refilling is a pain here) and getting the bubble count and all that right.
And i always seem to have issues with the regulator. Its either too open or too closed.

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some reactors just tend to suck in air at random times when run at negative pressures. This air does not dissolve and is a PITA to vent from the system. Slight positive pressure also helps CO2 gas dissolve - but this is not the real reason I recommend avoiding negative pressure. If your reactor never fills with bubbles when you run it on suction, you are fine.
Ah hmm I’m running a korallin 1502 when I tried to run it pushing water,it would spew out the ph probe holder when the pump stopped and it would get pressurized. The only way for that not to happen was run on pull, eventually I replaced the lid and that sorted everything but I’ve kept it running on pull ever since with no issues. I am also pulling through a second chamber that I added on later

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old Korallin C1502 reactor that has not been used for years. But I just started really stocking up my DT with SPS.
Easier then maintaining a CO2 tank (refilling is a pain here) and getting the bubble count and all that right.
And i always seem to have issues with the regulator. Its either too open or too closed.
I’m in the same boat living in a rural area running the same reactor if it’s any consolation. I’m going on 13 months with the same 5lb c02 bottle having my apex control the ph controller.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the negative pressure/bubble formation via pulling occurred with GEO‘s Reef older style calcium reactor designs. Where the effluent came out of the recirculation loop. Their newer designs with the effluent coming out of the reactor lid have addressed the issues with bubble formation in the reactor when running in pull configuration with a peristaltic pump.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I sold my dos and trident. I may buy a trident later but for now I want to be set and ready for the sps dominated tank it will be soon.

The magic ratio number is when I’m at what dKH? I thought 25dkh is a starting number and then once you dial in the magic ratio number then you give it a few days to see if it stays at 25dkh

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 dKH is a good number (which will happen at a pH of about 6.6). Potent enough to hold your ALK wherever you need it, and not at risk for melting any type of media.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my dos and trident. I may buy a trident later but for now I want to be set and ready for the sps dominated tank it will be soon.

The magic ratio number is when I’m at what dKH? I thought 25dkh is a starting number and then once you dial in the magic ratio number then you give it a few days to see if it stays at 25dkh
The correct ratio is whatever it takes to hold your desired dkh.
20+ is a good starting point.
Anywhere between 20-25 works for my system.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
The correct ratio is whatever it takes to hold your desired dkh.
20+ is a good starting point.
Anywhere between 20-25 works for my system.
Ok so two days now and when I go to check effluent drops, it’s stopped . I restart the drip by slightly turning the valve. what do you think is happening

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so two days now and when I go to check effluent drops, it’s stopped . I restart the drip by slightly turning the valve. what do you think is happening
Open the valve all the way then back it off and see if it holds.
What ml per minute are you trying to hold?

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I’m wondering if I need to buy a pump now because I can’t be tinkering with it like this for SPS at all

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Yea I started at 60 and then adjusted co2. 50 is a good starting point. I just checked mine. I am at 48mlpm and 96 bpm co2.
Remember my system is mature with large colonys.
I read the write up from one of the members on here and it said 40 drops per minute . Another write up online said 60 drops . I didn’t know I had to measure Ml. Thanks

how are you counting your bubbles

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the write up from one of the members on here and it said 40 drops per minute . Another write up online said 60 drops . I didn’t know I had to measure Ml. Thanks

how are you counting your bubbles
I count for 15 seconds and multiply x 4. Fairly simple.
You need a watch with a second hand and I use a flashlight to see the bubbles. My bubble trap is not clear and hard to see.

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium Reactor all day....easy as pie once up and running!!

PXL_20211228_192806847.jpg

Back