Is club soda dip better than a hypo dip?

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some live rock a few months ago and it’s been such a pain since the beginning, I got all kinds bad hitchhikers so I just need to remove everything from the rock. I did a hypo dip but that did nothing. I saw some people were dipping them in club soda, would that work better? And if not what would be better?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the bacteria on the rock live?
I’d say no… I mean that’s why we use it on cuts right? It helps clean them out and kills the nasties lol.. I could be wrong, but that is what makes sense when I really think about… great question! Haha.. I’ll have to research that..

Upvote 0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly doubtful the bacteria will survive… maybe if it’s deep in the rock and the h202 doesn’t penetrate that far down..

Attachments

• CC5EB264-F1FB-4ED0-820F-D152E14BA9DE.png
    CC5EB264-F1FB-4ED0-820F-D152E14BA9DE.png
    198.7 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leo12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, some more background might help as well. How big is the tank? How old is tank? Any fish or corals? What filtration (not a sump, are you using a canister or hang on back? What hitchhikers are giving you the most trouble (gorilla crabs, and maybe a mantis, anything else)? What is your goal for the tank (reef, SPS, fowler)?
It’s a 75 gallon, it’s brand new, and I only have two clear shrimp and I have a hob filter.
A soda water dip sounds unhinged. May as well just do a bleach dip? I would do a freshwater dip before a soda water dip.

I got KP rock too. It came with an assortment of gorilla crabs, possibly some kind of eunice worm (not a bobbit, the head was different), a pistol shrimp (I think this is probably what you have), and some big-butt bristleworms. I didn't sweat it and got fish anyway. They're all fine. I remove the gorilla crabs when I see them, and I think the eunice perished. The pistol shrimp still makes noise at all times, but I don't mind it. I do wish I saw it from time to time though. The only downside is something in the tank really has a taste for emerald crabs. Any I add get annihilated overnight. Perhaps I need to add a larger one.

Maybe I'm too laid back, but I would just get fish already and not worry about it. I doubt you have a mantis. I think you would've seen it by now and it's much more likely that you have a pistol shrimp. The gorilla crabs could be a problem, but I would just pull them out as you see them.
Ok I will just get fish and not worry about it thanks for the advice. I thought it was weird too but I saw a bunch of people doing it on a forum called reef central.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back