Is it necessary to do the 25% water change after using Blue Life Cyano Red?

Macimage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running fallow for the past two years. I’ve had the lights, wave makers, main pump, etc. running. It’s just been fishless. In retrospect, I should’ve fed the beneficial critters such as Copepods and Bristle worms as they are all gone now.

I did a treatment of Blue Life RX Red Cyano and the red Cyano bacteria was gone within the hour. I see that it says to do a 25% water change in the instructions. I do not plan on adding any fish to the tank for 45 days at least. Will the medication dissipate or is it really necessary to do this water change?

if I do the water change, can I fill my quarantine tanks with the water I remove?

Thank you in advance,
Joyce

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Joyce,
It is difficult to say since we don’t know 100% exactly what is in the product.
Yet, we have colleagues reporting that they didn’t bother to the 25% water change after the treatment… and everything went fine.

I feel that in this case, skimmer is an important factor.

From my experience, I did a water change, not necessarily 25%… less than that… annd all went fine.

Best of luck!

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm proactively trying the chemi-clean branded stuff now. I have low nutrients in my system and was starting to see some cyano, so we're gonna get rid of any possibility. I have a bunch of corals coming wednesday and they're not going into a tank with cyano.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running fallow for the past two years. I’ve had the lights, wave makers, main pump, etc. running. It’s just been fishless. In retrospect, I should’ve fed the beneficial critters such as Copepods and Bristle worms as they are all gone now.

I did a treatment of Blue Life RX Red Cyano and the red Cyano bacteria was gone within the hour. I see that it says to do a 25% water change in the instructions. I do not plan on adding any fish to the tank for 45 days at least. Will the medication dissipate or is it really necessary to do this water change?

if I do the water change, can I fill my quarantine tanks with the water I remove?

Thank you in advance,
Joyce
It contains erythromycin (an antibiotic) which will be removed eventually by carbon and UV/Ozone.

You should follow the directions though, as it will be impacting other bacteria in the tank, some of which are important.

The 20% water change is to help the tank return to normal as quickly as possible.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm proactively trying the chemi-clean branded stuff now. I have low nutrients in my system and was starting to see some cyano, so we're gonna get rid of any possibility. I have a bunch of corals coming wednesday and they're not going into a tank with cyano.
FWIW, Chemiclean is also an antibiotic, although it is not believed to be erythromycin.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back