Is it normal to Not have to dose?

Graphicsplus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been 2 weeks now and with switching to Red Sea Pro Salt and a 10G WC weekly in a 65G Tank.
I have tested every other day and Ca and KH aren't changing. I'm seeing more growth than I have since starting the tank. Previously (3 months) I had to dose Ca & Alk to maintain decent levels.

Currently reading (hasn't changed in 2 weeks)
Ca - 460
Alk - 10

Not complaining just curious.

GMay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this salt has increased amounts of calcium and alkalinity, it is likely that you may not need to supplement as long as you keep up with regular water changes.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to assume you have small frags in the tank, and some that are softies. As the corals mature, and assuming you have hard corals, water changes alone will not be able to keep up with alk and calc demand. So as your corals grow, you will eventually see your numbers falling.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been 2 weeks now and with switching to Red Sea Pro Salt and a 10G WC weekly in a 65G Tank.
I have tested every other day and Ca and KH aren't changing. I'm seeing more growth than I have since starting the tank. Previously (3 months) I had to dose Ca & Alk to maintain decent levels.

Currently reading (hasn't changed in 2 weeks)
Ca - 460
Alk - 10

Not complaining just curious.

Growth of what?

OP
OP
Graphicsplus

Graphicsplus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several favia, acro, mushrooms, fox, zoa, star polyps. The growth I am seeing is with the favia brain corals and the acros where as before only the softies were growing. It just seemed odd that I was having to dose every other day for the last 3 months but now I havent had to and I am seeing growth hence shouldn't my levels be diminishing?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several favia, acro, mushrooms, fox, zoa, star polyps. The growth I am seeing is with the favia brain corals and the acros where as before only the softies were growing. It just seemed odd that I was having to dose every other day for the last 3 months but now I havent had to and I am seeing growth hence shouldn't my levels be diminishing?

Yes, the hard corals you have are taking up alk and calcium (not the other corals, however) and when big enough or growing faster you'll need to dose, but Red Sea Coral Pro is very high in alk and calcium, so you have some room before those parameters get too low.

Are you using tap water? That can also be a big source of alkalinity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Graphicsplus

Graphicsplus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the hard corals you have are taking up alk and calcium (not the other corals, however) and when big enough or growing faster you'll need to dose, but Red Sea Coral Pro is very high in alk and calcium, so you have some room before those parameters get too low.

Are you using tap water? That can also be a big source of alkalinity.

No Im using RODI. Still cant tackle the cyano issues but going to try the H2O2 after the final review goes up

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 135 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back