Is my leather a goner?

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing has tripled in size over the last 6 months but a few days ago it closed up and got all blotchy. Now it’s a weird yellow/brown/purple color and things are flaking off of it. No idea what happened or if there is any way to save it.
79587AC5-7DBB-4917-84DF-0F710F3007EA.jpeg

It is very firmly encrusted into the rock so there isn’t really a way to get it out of the tank.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't the best photo and something under soft white light would be better to help diagnose. the coral is in bad shape. It looks like it has some sort of infection and is covered in necrotic flesh. You need to pull it out and use a turkey baster to blow off the dead flesh. Cut out anything that can be saved and dip them in a coral dip, lugols, or tank water mixed with H202. It will STINK very bad. Another sign of infection. I wish you the best of luck. You must remove it from the tank at this point.

Keep me posted on it's progress.

Edit: As an aside...if in fact there is no necrotic flesh, and its actually covered in a waxy coating and cyanobacteria, etc, you must clean it off and increase the flow around the leather so that it can properly shed its coating.

OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't the best photo and something under soft white light would be better to help diagnose. the coral is in bad shape. It looks like it has some sort of infection and is covered in necrotic flesh. You need to pull it out and use a turkey baster to blow off the dead flesh. Cut out anything that can be saved and dip them in a coral dip, lugols, or tank water mixed with H202. It will STINK very bad. Another sign of infection. I wish you the best of luck. You must remove it from the tank at this point.

Keep me posted on it's progress.
Only way it is coming out is if I cut it. Should I just cut it at the base, or higher up?

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only way it is coming out is if I cut it. Should I just cut it at the base, or higher up?

As an aside...if in fact there is no necrotic flesh, and its actually covered in a waxy coating and cyanobacteria, etc, you must clean it off and increase the flow around the leather so that it can properly shed its coating.

As close as possible to the rock. I have gotten a hard plastic scraper in there before to peel off a leather but I know it is not easy.

OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside...if in fact there is no necrotic flesh, and its actually covered in a waxy coating and cyanobacteria, etc, you must clean it off and increase the flow around the leather so that it can properly shed its coating.

As close as possible to the rock. I have gotten a hard plastic scraper in there before to peel off a leather but I know it is not easy.
I did manage to scrape it off the rock, only had to cut a tiny bit. It was pretty rough when it came off. About half of it was jello consistency when I touched it. Only the stem and about 20% of the top was still solid and not discolored.

I cut it up and did an iodine dip. I tried to save the 3 best pieces, we’ll see if they make it.

9026C73B-1E0E-4D8D-90C0-0B1474D6EE8D.jpeg

I think my galaxia must have attacked it. They are 8” apart but both are getting larger. Might be time to rehome it, it is quite violent.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut it up and did an iodine dip. I tried to save the 3 best pieces, we’ll see if they make it.

Excellent husbandry. Maybe someone else will chime in with additional tips. I have had this happen with some beautiful leathers in the past due to injury and bacterial infections. It usually takes about 24 hours for the jelly to entirely cover the surface of the fragged pieces if still present.

OP
OP
MarsReefer

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it going? Were you able to fend off the infection?
Two of the cut pieces look good. One I think I did too tight with the rubber band, it is pretty squished down, but it hasn't split so maybe its ok?

I don't see any obvious infection on the pieces, but we'll see if they survive.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great news. I had a rubber band too tight before and it just resulted in two frags growing beside each other on the same plug. Ultimately I cut the plug and then glued one piece with the plug that it was attached too on to a piece of rubble.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This thing has tripled in size over the last 6 months but a few days ago it closed up and got all blotchy. Now it’s a weird yellow/brown/purple color and things are flaking off of it. No idea what happened or if there is any way to save it.
79587AC5-7DBB-4917-84DF-0F710F3007EA.jpeg

It is very firmly encrusted into the rock so there isn’t really a way to get it out of the tank.
Often they can be revived but this one looks to be in trouble

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back