is my lights ok for reef?

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,so i have a 120X50X40(240 liters) tank which is fish only now but i want to make it reef...My current lights are 2 T5 39 watts(1 blue 1 white)..Will this be enough to keep rock flower anemones,zoas,mushrooms and lps corals???I've been told by some shops and i've read that i might be ok with my current lights if i place my corals to the top of the tank...Can i place corals on the bottom too without problem?Otherwise what is some cheap lights,150 euros max, to put in the tank?If i replace my current lights with 2 leds 16 watts will this be ok?I also read to another post about Visparspectra led lights,will this be enough?https://www.ledgrowshop.eu/viparspectra/viparspectra-reflector-series-r300-300w/

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,so i have a 120X50X40(240 liters) tank which is fish only now but i want to make it reef...My current lights are 2 T5 39 watts(1 blue 1 white)..Will this be enough to keep rock flower anemones,zoas,mushrooms and lps corals???I've been told by some shops and i've read that i might be ok with my current lights if i place my corals to the top of the tank...Can i place corals on the bottom too without problem?Otherwise what is some cheap lights,150 euros max, to put in the tank?If i replace my current lights with 2 leds 16 watts will this be ok?I also read to another post about Visparspectra led lights,will this be enough?https://www.ledgrowshop.eu/viparspectra/viparspectra-reflector-series-r300-300w/
I believe the lights you linked are for growing plants, usually cannabis, not for fish tanks. The overwhelmingly red/pink spectrum is suited to the chlorophyll in plant leaves. The viparspectra's used for reef tanks are these:

They would be over your budget though. There are cheaper "Chinese black boxes" such as the phlizon that are a bit cheaper that would make it within your budget. Not sure if they're the same price/availability in Greece.

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the lights you linked are for growing plants, usually cannabis, not for fish tanks. The overwhelmingly red/pink spectrum is suited to the chlorophyll in plant leaves. The viparspectra's used for reef tanks are these:

They would be over your budget though. There are cheaper "Chinese black boxes" such as the phlizon that are a bit cheaper that would make it within your budget. Not sure if they're the same price/availability in Greece.

the image didn't load again..anyway so with my current T5 system i can't put corals in it?

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is how it looks to me...https://prnt.sc/vk7ob3

if i go with 2 54 watts bulbs?
also is some led bulbs a better option?
* are they any good?https://prnt.sc/vk7qp5
To my understanding, wattage is proportional to length, not brightness. A 54 watt bulb probably won't fit in your current fixture. I think your current options are to either go black box, or upgrade your t5 fixture with more bulbs.

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my understanding, wattage is proportional to length, not brightness. A 54 watt bulb probably won't fit in your current fixture. I think your current options are to either go black box, or upgrade your t5 fixture with more bulbs.
ok then thanks for the info

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back