Is the Alkalinity dKH scale linear?

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity ran a bit high at 12.02, so I turned off the CO2 for a couple days and measured again. It then measured exactly 2pts lower at 10.o2. Assuming my alk consumption rate is the same, will it be likely be 8 dKH in 2 more days?
Just curious.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer the question in the thread's title: Yes, the scale is linear. And assuming your alk consumption remains constant, then in two more days your alk can be expected to read 8.02. That assumption may not be valid, though, since various things can affect the consumption rate (such as alk swings).

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I not force such a quick swing down? I just dont want it to be that hight

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't mean to imply that. I think just letting it drop to where you want it is fine, as long as you don't overshoot. I just meant that the consumption might possibly change over the next two days in response to recent events.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! I'll check again tomorrow and prob keep it around 9. I made some changes to my reactor and didn't test enough afterwards. It got away from me a little. Thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One complication to figuring depletion rates is that it is typically faster at higher alk. So at 11 dKH you'll get one rate of depletion, and at 5 dKH it will be much slower or even close to zero.

That is true because both main ways of alk depletion (calcification by organisms and abiotic precipitation on pumps and heaters) slow down at lower alkalinity.

GatorGuys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scale is linear - but the consumption in the tank is not. Since you are trying to determine the amount to dose base on your consumption, it will seem to be different. The higher your alk - the faster your corals will consume it. As your alk drops, the corals will consume it at a slower rate.

ckozma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, and thanks for explaining. When I have seen you explain it before, it always seemed like it was not linear, that it would drop faster if kH was higher. Seemed that way this time also, and Tue explanation helped a lot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back