Is there a danger to adding multiple new fish to an established tank?

Wendi1bird

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are approaching a year next month and have successfully kept 2 tangs, 2 clowns, 3 pajama cardinals and a dragon goby, along with various corals like zoas, mushrooms, lobo, hammer, candy canes, and favite, as well as cleaner crew. We recently lost 1 clown and our dragon goby due to leaving the lid off by mistake and we have our quarantine tank set up with a new small clown, 2 bicolor blennies, 2 fairy wrasse and a pink and blue watchman goby to hopefully pair with the pistol shrimp we already added to display tank. Once quarantine is over can I move them all at the same time or is there a danger to that?

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just reread your post carefully and I see you plan on quarantining. I have 8 fish to add once quarantine is over. Not the species you have so I'll retract my comments and leave it to those more experienced than I. Good luck.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We are approaching a year next month and have successfully kept 2 tangs, 2 clowns, 3 pajama cardinals and a dragon goby, along with various corals like zoas, mushrooms, lobo, hammer, candy canes, and favite, as well as cleaner crew. We recently lost 1 clown and our dragon goby due to leaving the lid off by mistake and we have our quarantine tank set up with a new small clown, 2 bicolor blennies, 2 fairy wrasse and a pink and blue watchman goby to hopefully pair with the pistol shrimp we already added to display tank. Once quarantine is over can I move them all at the same time or is there a danger to that?
Bio load is main risk. Add a couple , then 4 days another couple.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just reread your post carefully and I see you plan on quarantining. I have 8 fish to add once quarantine is over. Not the species you have so I'll retract my comments and leave it to those more experienced than I. Good luck.
He’s already QTing. The question is around how many fish to move in after QT. I’d break them up. Do half, wait a week to ensure all is good and then the rest.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced a mix of chromis and anthias a while back (11 I think) and didn't have any issues. Fish are all still fine. So other than potentially spiking your bio load and not playing well with others... Probably sound advice to split them up.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My concerns would be is the tank size, but agree with staggering the new additions.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ask the same question @Cell did but add to that, what is total volume of your system including any sump or refugium sections? For example, If you have a 100 gallon display with a 100 gallon refugium and 100 gallon sump, it might not be an issue.

Back