is there a solution that i can make to verify alk reagent?

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY alk standards:

Thank you Randy. I just purchased this from amazon, and it is supposed to be delivered on thursday.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a Triton N-DOC laying around that I have been meaning to use. It is supposed to measure alkalinity. I filled the test vials, then immiately testing my alk with the hanna checker and got 7.7dkh. So when I get my results back later this week or early next week I will report back. I will also report back with how the "alk standards" test went. Thanks everyone for your help.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did Randy's test (half diluted) and got 13.5dkh (should have been 14). Which is probably pretty accurate being that its outside of the range usually measured in aquaria. Comparatively I also did a test with fauna marins multi reference that is supposed to be 6.6dkh and I got 6.7.

So I suppose it's safe to say the bottle of reagent that I had been using was bad or expired. But at least I got to the bottom of it. Thanks everyone

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys do realize that Hanna only states 25 tests per reagent bottle, yet there is 30ML in each bottle.

I started marking each test on the bottle, when I get to 25 I throw out the rest. My test have been super consistent between bottles since I started doing that.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys do realize that Hanna only states 25 tests per reagent bottle, yet there is 30ML in each bottle.

I started marking each test on the bottle, when I get to 25 I throw out the rest. My test have been super consistent between bottles since I started doing that.

If the reagent is properly mixed (and I shake it before every use), I do not see how the last little bit would be any different then the first little bit.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a huge thread a while back about this, and hanna stated that between evap, and possible contamination you should only use the stated 25 tests. Ever notice how the last bit in the bottle has those little floaty things in it?

Kind of like how the trident has a set number of tests between bottles but put a bit more in each bottle.

Just my experience and it has greatly improved my accuracy between bottles.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a huge thread a while back about this, and hanna stated that between evap, and possible contamination you should only use the stated 25 tests. Ever notice how the last bit in the bottle has those little floaty things in it?

Kind of like how the trident has a set number of tests between bottles but put a bit more in each bottle.

I’ve NEVER had “little floaty things” In any of my reagent packs

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

O.k. That makes sense. And the last bottle I was having issues with, I did notice some floaty things in it. Thank you for the info. I guess I assumed because it said 25 test that there was 25 test worth of reagent in it

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve NEVER had “little floaty things” In any of my reagent packs
Consider yourself lucky then. Nearly everyone in that thread, noticed the same floaty things in the last bit of reagent.

Kind of like how some people get the "brown crud" from IO, and yet others don't.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do not rinse the syringe out when I am done. Which I should start doing. I have noticed that it starts to dry on to the syringe after a while. I wonder if that's what the floaties are. Old reagent.

OP
OP
Miller535

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@homer1475 , is this the thread?

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 1.135 grams of sodium bicarbonate in 1 gallon purified water (0tds) will equal 10dkh. May or may not work with hanna checker (i haven't tried)
Ha, it gives you a sense of the size of the numbers we are worrying about. 1.135 grams = 10 dkh? It also amazes me how small these numbers are.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back