Is there hope for my clown

reefer415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my oldest fish. Looks like velvet. Looking for confirmation (vid attached). I have her in 2.25 Copper Power in a 20L QT tank (SG 1.024). It's been 2 days since I noticed it. 50% water changes daily in QT (keeping copper steady). Really don't want to lose this one. What is the next best thing to do? I don't have Formalin on hand and I don't understand which product to buy in that case.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0139.mov
    17.8 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is my oldest fish. Looks like velvet. Looking for confirmation (vid attached). I have her in 2.25 Copper Power in a 20L QT tank (SG 1.024). It's been 2 days since I noticed it. 50% water changes daily in QT (keeping copper steady). Really don't want to lose this one. What is the next best thing to do? I don't have Formalin on hand and I don't understand which product to buy in that case.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.
Looks to be infested with ich and the coppersafe can be bumped to 2.4 safely and quickly. It will take coppersafe 48-72 hours to truly take effect. Maintain copper level and do not overdose. No need to make daily water changes unless test kits show high ammonia levels and if you havent, add aeration via air stone.

OP
OP
reefer415

reefer415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be infested with ich and the coppersafe can be bumped to 2.4 safely and quickly. It will take coppersafe 48-72 hours to truly take effect. Maintain copper level and do not overdose. No need to make daily water changes unless test kits show high ammonia levels and if you havent, add aeration via air stone.
Thank you!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't see the movie - whether Ich or velvet the treatment would be the same - additionally any other fish you have in that tank should be treated as well (if any) your tank will need to be left 'fallow' for 60-76 days depending on which protocol you want to follow. Did you QT the fish up front?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - that is end stage ich. Coppersafe/copper power at 2.5 ppm ASAP would be the best treatment. If this developed WHILE the fish was in 2.25 copper power, I would have to wonder if your testing method is off?

OP
OP
reefer415

reefer415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - that is end stage ich. Coppersafe/copper power at 2.5 ppm ASAP would be the best treatment. If this developed WHILE the fish was in 2.25 copper power, I would have to wonder if your testing method is off?
Did not develop while in Copper. This female Maroon is paired with a maroon male, and a PBT were all in a 40 gallon sump of a frag tank, which is mostly live rock and snails in the sump (plus the fish). I have had the female clown for 5 years and the male for 3 years. The PBT has been in there with no problems for a couple months. All of them have ich now. I put the male into the 20L with the female and set up a new 40 Breeder QT with Copper Power @ 2.5 for the PBT.

The "frag" section of the system has 2 small yellow tangs (keeping my eye on them now) that have been fine. At the end of last week I added an Ultra Clam, a Mandarin Goby and a Tailspot blenny (in an acclimation box so it wouldn't jump) to the frag tank. Stupid me, no QT on the new fish... Didn't think there was a big risk, they were small and thought that Mandarins in particular were not very subject to Ich. Tailspot died the next day, Mandarin jumped (also another error on my part I suppose).

If the raging ich didn't come from those additions in the 2 days they were in the tank, I have no idea how it could have gotten in there. Is it possible for ich to take hold that fast? Only other explanation is that maybe I had some cross contamination with equipment from a prior QT tank setup, but that stuff has been dry for months...

Both QT tanks now at 2.5. When I first put the female in she was pretty lathargic but seems to have some life back. Male doesn't look great but has energy. PBT seems sort of 50/50.

The big question #1 now is should I get the 2 yellow tangs out of the frag tank preemptively and get them in copper now? Is it assured they'll get ich since the system for sure has Ich?

Big question #2 is that I'm having a shipment of coral coming on Friday. Generally I QT frags for a couple weeks to make sure I get pests off etc. before going into the display. A) would it be bad to put the frags in the Frag tank b/c we know it has Ich or B) Should I just dip and scrape the frags well and put right into the display or C) Just break down the frag tank, sterilize everything and start over with some live rock from the display tank? I'm inclined to do B and C because I'm not going to fallow it for 6 months if I can't / shouldn't put coral frags in there... way too long.

Thank you!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did not develop while in Copper. This female Maroon is paired with a maroon male, and a PBT were all in a 40 gallon sump of a frag tank, which is mostly live rock and snails in the sump (plus the fish). I have had the female clown for 5 years and the male for 3 years. The PBT has been in there with no problems for a couple months. All of them have ich now. I put the male into the 20L with the female and set up a new 40 Breeder QT with Copper Power @ 2.5 for the PBT.

The "frag" section of the system has 2 small yellow tangs (keeping my eye on them now) that have been fine. At the end of last week I added an Ultra Clam, a Mandarin Goby and a Tailspot blenny (in an acclimation box so it wouldn't jump) to the frag tank. Stupid me, no QT on the new fish... Didn't think there was a big risk, they were small and thought that Mandarins in particular were not very subject to Ich. Tailspot died the next day, Mandarin jumped (also another error on my part I suppose).

If the raging ich didn't come from those additions in the 2 days they were in the tank, I have no idea how it could have gotten in there. Is it possible for ich to take hold that fast? Only other explanation is that maybe I had some cross contamination with equipment from a prior QT tank setup, but that stuff has been dry for months...

Both QT tanks now at 2.5. When I first put the female in she was pretty lathargic but seems to have some life back. Male doesn't look great but has energy. PBT seems sort of 50/50.

The big question #1 now is should I get the 2 yellow tangs out of the frag tank preemptively and get them in copper now? Is it assured they'll get ich since the system for sure has Ich?

Big question #2 is that I'm having a shipment of coral coming on Friday. Generally I QT frags for a couple weeks to make sure I get pests off etc. before going into the display. A) would it be bad to put the frags in the Frag tank b/c we know it has Ich or B) Should I just dip and scrape the frags well and put right into the display or C) Just break down the frag tank, sterilize everything and start over with some live rock from the display tank? I'm inclined to do B and C because I'm not going to fallow it for 6 months if I can't / shouldn't put coral frags in there... way too long.

Thank you!
Assuming Ich, you should remove all of the fish and treat. since some of the fish in the tank may be 'carriers' - though this is a debated concept - there would be no reason not to do so. I wouldn't do anything to the frags. I wouldn't start over - just treat the fish and let the tank go fallow for 60-76 days

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thank you!
OH and yes - treat all the fish with copper, including the yellow tangs

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back