Is there such thing as a BEST nitrate test kit? These options are pretty darn good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate is definitely one of those more difficult to test for type of parameters, specifically for saltwater and an affordable test kit.

There are some shining stars that stand out in the hobby nitrate test kit realm....but for the LOVE of Reefkeeping, @Hanna Instruments PLEASE find a way to make us a Nitrate Checker!

Cyricdark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate is definitely one of those more difficult to test for type of parameters, specifically for saltwater and an affordable test kit.

There are some shining stars that stand out in the hobby nitrate test kit realm....but for the LOVE of Reefkeeping, @Hanna Instruments PLEASE find a way to make us a Nitrate Checker!

I was watching this video and something bothered me it sounds like when you guys are doing the salifert low range that you're still looking from top down, you do know that you're supposed to look at it through the side when you're doing low range right?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Hanna, we do need a tester from you!!!

I talked to them two weeks ago and one of the sales guys told me that nothing was in the works. He said tons of requests have come in but he has heard there are major issues with making this test kit reliable.

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that I can use my hanna phosphate ulr ppm checker to accurately read my red sea nitrate test. I can accurately test between 0-10ppm nitrates. Changing the dilution rate opens up the range more, but the results are not as precise.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that I can use my hanna phosphate ulr ppm checker to accurately read my red sea nitrate test. I can accurately test between 0-10ppm nitrates. Changing the dilution rate opens up the range more, but the results are not as precise.

Very cool info. You should do a seperate thread on this with some pictures. You should get the official credit for finding this out.

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool info. You should do a seperate thread on this with some pictures. You should get the official credit for finding this out.
I did do a thread on it, but I cannot take all the credit. I got the idea from another thread on here where someone did it in order to test nitrates accurately under 1ppm. I am not exactly the originator.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did do a thread on it, but I cannot take all the credit. I got the idea from another thread on here where someone did it in order to test nitrates accurately under 1ppm. I am not exactly the originator.

Do you have a link?

Thanks

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use nyos, used it for over a year now, and hate the yellow, the cards look more orange than yellow and every test i can only tell that its somewhere between 10-20 at a guess. i'm switching to salifert, hoping thats easier to read.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use nyos, used it for over a year now, and hate the yellow, the cards look more orange than yellow and every test i can only tell that its somewhere between 10-20 at a guess. i'm switching to salifert, hoping thats easier to read.
Colin just be aware that the Salifert test increments are 0, 2, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100. So if you’re looking for more separation in the 10-25 range Salifert doesn’t really do it.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would see if someone you know or your store uses it & watch then do the test.
Then see if you can easily read it before purchase.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back