Is this algae or a bacteria slowly killing my coral?

ReluctantIM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My tank has been upa and running for ~4 years, but just in the past two months I e seen some corals slowly start being overtaken by what looks to be algae, or perhaps a bacteria. Any ideas what this might be and how to treat it?

I don't have any algae problems elsewhere in the tank and have generally stable parameters.

Thanks!

IMG_3729.jpeg IMG_3728.jpeg IMG_3727.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like algae but in general algae doesn’t just grow over healthy Coral so it’s possible they were decaying due to something else and then the algae started to grow over them. Any parameter changes in the last couple of months or changes in flow/lighting?

OP
OP
R

ReluctantIM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like algae but in general algae doesn’t just grow over healthy Coral so it’s possible they were decaying due to something else and then the algae started to grow over them. Any parameter changes in the last couple of months or changes in flow/lighting?
Flow yes, just rearranged the tank a bit, and started carbon dosing three months ago, which has helped bring phosphates down from a stable 0.3 to 0.15. The rest of the tank is thriving.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow yes, just rearranged the tank a bit, and started carbon dosing three months ago, which has helped bring phosphates down from a stable 0.3 to 0.15. The rest of the tank is thriving.
Interesting. I wonder if there’s a lot less flow on those corals than there was before allowing for the algae to settle in. Sorry I can’t be of more help. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable forum members will chime in.

OP
OP
R

ReluctantIM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I wonder if there’s a lot less flow on those corals than there was before allowing for the algae to settle in. Sorry I can’t be of more help. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable forum members will chime in.
I appreciate the help.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the tank looking good with the higher phos? Why drop it down?

OP
OP
R

ReluctantIM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the tank looking good with the higher phos? Why drop it down?
Yes, it did look very good. But I use a lot of phosguard and without it my phosphates move even higher. So, I started dosing vodka as a cheaper way to help control nutrients.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if the swing in phos rtn’d or stn’d them and the algae was able to attach

OP
OP
R

ReluctantIM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if the swing in phos rtn’d or stn’d them and the algae was able to attach
Could certainly be. It's been stable now, so I'll see if it affects any other corals. Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back