Is this aptasia?

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this aptasia living on my zoa frags? I suspect it is but I'd appreciate any confirmation/correction.

ap 1.jpg

ap 2.jpg

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like it. I had one come on an astrea snail not long ago. That little guy got a harsh toothbrushin. It looks super small so if you catch it now it probably hasn't spread anywhere else. Maybe.

OP
OP
JohnNYC8

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like it. I had one come on an astrea snail not long ago. That little guy got a harsh toothbrushin. It looks super small so if you catch it now it probably hasn't spread anywhere else. Maybe.

I suspect mine came in on a coral shipment. After I added a batch of corals I noticed some on the rock work. I entombed it in epoxy filled with F Aptasia and didn't see any more until these.

I've been buying pre-quarantined fish because I don't have a QT but now I'm thinking I need a little QT set-up for corals. Or I could buy only qt'd corals from Dr. Reef's store going forward.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AiptasiaX works well. Just have to get them to eat it. If you've just got the two it's a better option than trying to buy something to eat it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ID.

Do you have experience with Berghia Nudibranch? If so, would 2 be overkill for a 26 gallon nano? This is the only place I see aptasia right now. I have a LFS that will take them off my hands when they're done.
I have had experience trying to kill them with various chemicals, which always just caused them to spread for me. I ended up with a copperband butterfly for mine. I’ve never used berghia but that seems like overkill unless you have a lot more aiptasia than just a few.

OP
OP
JohnNYC8

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had experience trying to kill them with various chemicals, which always just caused them to spread for me. I ended up with a copperband butterfly for mine. I’ve never used berghia but that seems like overkill unless you have a lot more aiptasia than just a few.
It's a 26 gallon AIO nano so I don't think that fish is an option for me.

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect mine came in on a coral shipment. After I added a batch of corals I noticed some on the rock work. I entombed it in epoxy filled with F Aptasia and didn't see any more until these.

I've been buying pre-quarantined fish because I don't have a QT but now I'm thinking I need a little QT set-up for corals. Or I could buy only qt'd corals from Dr. Reef's store going forward.
I also got my fish from Dr. Reefs, as I don't have the room where I'm at to have a second tank setup for Q. I only had the space for my 14g peninsula.

You dipped the corals I'm assuming? In no way do I want to slander Dr. Reefs. What they provide is a valuable service, however the snail I mentioned came from them. Aiptasia is just something you'll need to visually inspect for and remember that no quarantine is ever 100%. I'd say get your corals wherever you feel your dollar is best spent. And for coral QT, consider something like the fluval evo 5 gallon. Small footprint and return flow will be enough in that small space to watch new corals/frags for weeks or months before dropping in. I know a lot of people use that small tank for exactly that, and I think it's just barely over 125ish USD for the kit.

OP
OP
JohnNYC8

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got my fish from Dr. Reefs, as I don't have the room where I'm at to have a second tank setup for Q. I only had the space for my 14g peninsula.

You dipped the corals I'm assuming? In no way do I want to slander Dr. Reefs. What they provide is a valuable service, however the snail I mentioned came from them. Aiptasia is just something you'll need to visually inspect for and remember that no quarantine is ever 100%. I'd say get your corals wherever you feel your dollar is best spent. And for coral QT, consider something like the fluval evo 5 gallon. Small footprint and return flow will be enough in that small space to watch new corals/frags for weeks or months before dropping in. I know a lot of people use that small tank for exactly that, and I think it's just barely over 125ish USD for the kit.
Every coral gets a dip, no exceptions. Inverts I just dump in there so maybe I should be doing a better visual inspection on them. Thanks for the advice.

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every coral gets a dip, no exceptions. Inverts I just dump in there so maybe I should be doing a better visual inspection on them. Thanks for the advice.
Np. The nudibranchs aren't a bad idea if you've seen more of them. However I recommend a bristle tail filefish. They love aiptasia. They are reef safe, and not at all aggressive. They also have a hovering swim style that is kind of adorable. They get 4-5 inches tops, and you can start with a small one and give him away after a few years and get a new small one. He will also eat other foods when the aiptasia is gone so you can continue to enjoy him!

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia are not the best option for 1-2 aiptasia. Maybe if you can get them locally or something to avoid shipping cost. If you have a buddy who needs berghia, you could put your frag plug in a small container with the berghia overnight and let them eat the aiptasia then give the berghia to your buddy. They don't need a heater if the temp is >65 degrees.

Those aiptasia are not really that small, if they have been your tank more than a few days you probably already have microscopic baby aiptasia that you will see popping up in a few months.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia are not the best option for 1-2 aiptasia. Maybe if you can get them locally or something to avoid shipping cost. If you have a buddy who needs berghia, you could put your frag plug in a small container with the berghia overnight and let them eat the aiptasia then give the berghia to your buddy. They don't need a heater if the temp is >65 degrees.

Those aiptasia are not really that small, if they have been your tank more than a few days you probably already have microscopic baby aiptasia that you will see popping up in a few months.
Sorry-not trying to be negative, pests are just part of the hobby. Aiptasia are probably one of the most manageable and will not nuke your tank overnight like some (flatworms etc). I just don't want you to buy two Berghia or something, they may eat the two big Aiptasia you see but will not have enough food to breed, and so there won't be tiny baby Berghia to find the tiny baby Aiptasia and in a few months you will still have Aiptasia popping up all over after having wasted some money. Berghia are a good option when you have many Aiptasia and they can breed an army in your tank.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, do yourself a favor and treat these outside the tank. F-aptaisia, aptaisia-x, Kalk, lemon juice, ect,... Whatever you pic, treat it over the kitchen sink. Or you will spread them all over.

Berghia won't work for 2 aptaisia.

Edit: my favorite to rid them is lemon juice on a toothbrush. Just brush them away and rinse in tank water before putting them back in the tank. They normally release themselves. Make sure the tank water is clean.... Meaning, don't try to kill the buggers in the container of tank water. One cell of am aptaisia can grow. So if you have a bunch of pieces floating around, each one can grow another aptaisia.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back