Is this chaeto ????

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some chaeto at my lfs and when I got it home and was looking at it there are tiny bubbles growing on it (see photo) I bought my first batch of chaeto from algae barn and it didn’t look like this, it all look like this every strand has like little bubble leaves 0B1AEBCE-C908-4691-9934-4C25EB6BF385.jpeg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what looks like chaeto in the container. What you're holding looks like sickly grape caulerpa.

EDIT: Wow! You guys are fast.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sold it as chaeto, is it safe to put into my refugium
I had caulerpa hitchhike on the chaeto I got from the LFS 3+ years ago. It isn't the grape variety, but not sure what to call it. Anyway, in a short time it started seriously outcompeting the chaeto. Then at some point, the chaeto started making a comeback, and now there's very little caulerpa. Go figure. Regardless, I never saw any adverse effects to the fuge or tank.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grape caleurpa really grows fast. It will go sexual so best to trim it regularly. If it starts to turn white it’s about to go sexual try and trim the white parts. It will turn your water green. Happen to me once in my small 10 gallon observe tank. I did a heavy water change and it cleared up. I lost a Bumblebee Shrimp but my 6-line and wild anemones were fine.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found one of those bad starfish as well, I’m still debating about adding it to my refugium. It was 10 bucks for almost twice the size of algae barn sell a softball size, but I’m still leery of adding something that I later regret.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found one of those bad starfish as well, I’m still debating about adding it to my refugium. It was 10 bucks for almost twice the size of algae barn sell a softball size, but I’m still leery of adding something that I later regret.
You can give macro algae a freshwater dip Ro/DI. It will not hurt the algae but pest will fall off. Shake it in the water. There are usually bristle worms or some other hitchhiker in Cheato

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astera stars aren’t the worst pest

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it in dip just to be safe and this was in it
9A3B5D4D-0287-4810-9932-EF127AFB4C0C.jpeg
The dip won’t help you remove anything bad from the algae, if you putting it straight in the tank observe for a few days. The dip in general just kill good critters.

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I much prefer cheato. It does a really good job and never becomes a nuisance. I have a lot of trouble with grape caleurpa in one of my display tanks. Personally, I would never introduce it on purpose.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I much prefer cheato. It does a really good job and never becomes a nuisance. I have a lot of trouble with grape caleurpa in one of my display tanks. Personally, I would never introduce it on purpose.
Definitely not for DT unless you watch it daily

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back