Is this Cyano?

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an issue going on in my frag tank which seems to get out of control and could use some input/advice on this matter.

It is an acrylic frag tank 48x24x9
I run a good skimmer, MP40 and MP10, carbon and GFO. Tank lighting is an ATI 6 bulb T5 fixture. I run 2 bulbs for about 8 hours and all 6 for about 5 hours. My parameters are in check (alk = 9-10, Ca - 450 and Mag around 1450). Nitrates 0.5 ppm and no reading for Phosphates.
Only have 2 fish in there and feeding is minimal.

I have no other algae issue besides this:
There are tons of microbubbles which look like tiny airbubbles and on some of them very long single hair strings are coming out of them. The bubbles sit only on rock and frag plugs and not on the coral itself. Also those hair strings appear on the bottom of the tank (no substrate in the tank).
I keep syphoning them out every day but by the next day they are back.

I assume this is a form of cyano and not algae?
I would like to avoid any chemical treatment but if this get totally out of control I guess I have no other choice and if so what product is safe and does a good job?

Thanks for any input
Michael

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could be cyanobacteria but also could be dinoflagellates.. what color is it? cyno is usually red or green color where dynos are light brown and looks just like snot. dinos usually have lots of bubbles and can grow at a alarming rate.

A pic would help too.

Dave polzin

OP
OP
MAXreefer

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for you input Dave.
Being partly colorblind I have issues seeing the difference between reds and browns. I will ask my buddy when he gets home later what color it is.
Here is a crappy pic but maybe it helps to identify. This is from the back panel of the tank:
picture.php

OP
OP
MAXreefer

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some more info:
The hairs have more a reddish color and the bubbles don't look like snot.
Here is another pic from the bubbles. They don't sit on any of the SPS but just on their plugs. On some Zoas at the other end they like to sit on them.

picture.php

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back