is this part of the ugly phase of a new tank?

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at first I thought it was fish food deposit. but it's also on the lower part of the glass. I added about 20mL of Tommy's phyto mix. however, I've had a little red dots, even before I made those deposits for the blue damsel fish.

IMG_5548.jpeg IMG_5547.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ballyhoo
Can you describe it? Have you used a gravel vac. Your picture does not help.

Check out ReefCleaners nuisance algae guide. Maybe Calothrix

Calothrix

calothrix 300x225

These species of cyano often appear as a light slimy yet hairy/fuzzy nastiness that loosely attaches to your rock work. Air bubbles are usually trapped while escaping the "algae", just like in the picture to the left. Calothrix is a type of blue green algae that looks very similar to Dinos. We have them next to each other in the guide to help you distinguish the difference between the two.

Manual Removal: Remove the rock and scrub, and then fine tune with a toothbrush. Let the cleaners get the rest. It helps to use a net to collect the debris that will occur as a result of the toothbrushing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks to your response. This stuff lives in the live sand. I can't really scrub the sand that's the problem but I'm wondering if I'm running my aquarium to hight @ 81° sometimes. Now I set it to 78. perhaps I should set aquarium to as low as it could safely go and still support my clowns LpS and blue damsels. It was much worse today when i got home from work, but I used the plunger and removed much of it from the sand surface as i had done yesterday. Perhaps I'm being to aggressive on LED lighting and temperature.

IMG_5564.jpeg IMG_5563.jpeg IMG_5548.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a gravel vac in the sand.

I looked for a tank journal to understand your system and your husbandry. A full tank picture would help. Looks like diatoms which is a type of phytoplankton. What kind of clean up crew do you have?

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got most of it out yesterday, but I came home from work and it all came back

Attachments

• IMG_5574.jpeg
    IMG_5574.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 23

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you list parameters please?

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it's dyno. I'm not sure which species of it though. I have to wait till tomorrow to do all the testing and get all the parameters. But indicators are it's a form of dyno. thank you

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it go away at night? If I recall correctly your tanks pretty new it could be diatoms, or it could be dynos. either way theres two options: siphon it off as you see it and stay super on top of your params for the next couple weeks (it will be annoying but worth it), or dump some bottled stuff in to treat it (might want to also get started on the rough draft for the thread you'll post when that backfires)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just diatoms in a new tank. It will go away in 2 or 3 weeks when the silicate in the sand is used up.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it go away at night? If I recall correctly your tanks pretty new it could be diatoms, or it could be dynos. either way theres two options: siphon it off as you see it and stay super on top of your params for the next couple weeks (it will be annoying but worth it), or dump some bottled stuff in to treat it (might want to also get started on the rough draft for the thread you'll post when that backfires)
it does go away at night. That's the fascinating thing.

sounds like you're skeptical on a fluid /solution remedy.

skey44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those live starfish?
Looks like a little ugly phase. Won’t be a long term issue with good husbandry practices.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's night time now, and the uglies are all but dormant

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5582.jpeg
    IMG_5582.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 13

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does go away at night. That's the fascinating thing.

sounds like you're skeptical on a fluid /solution remedy.
Yea Im not a fan of bottled remedies. Quick fixes can work with certain things but they rarely work entirely as intended when it comes to nature. So I avoid it as much as possible. Sounds like dynos to me. If you have a microscope you can identify which type and figure out where to go from there.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, I read eurythmyosin works. I happen to have of antibiotics like that in the medicine cabinet

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, I read eurythmyosin works. I happen to have of antibiotics like that in the medicine cabinet
Should work. But the key word in that is antibiotic. It would also nuke a lot of other things that youd regret nuking. Patience is virtue, quick fixes lead to more threads like this one.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back