Is this the ugly phase? That quickly??

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my last tank, when i went through the ugly phase, everything was brown. Sand, and rock.

I'm thinking I've been done with the cycle for a month plus. I noticed all my rock (dry rock), is starting to get brown spots in it. But my sand is still white.

Is it possible that this could be the start of the ugly diatoms phase? If so, why is my sand still white?

Here is a picture with my whites on. One full rock picture, and then the second is a close up, to show you the brown spots.

Even though my whites are on and blues at zero, I'm still picking up blue lights. They're not turning all the way off. But hopefully you can see what I'm referring to

20240428_182220.jpg 20240428_182027.jpg 20240428_181958.jpg

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be flatworms. Try to get a close up. Velvet Nudibranch will tackle those.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is a possibility, how on earth would they get into my system? I started with dry rock and dry sand, and I only have 1 fish. I haven't introduced anything else into the tank yet

klc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes its the beginning of the many phases of ugly. You won't be able to combat it with any success. There is no magic bottle of fix all for the uglies so you'll have to just deal with it.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add copapods (forgot about that). But I have a problem buying those and phytoplankton. I struggle to feed something I can't see. Who knows if they're alive or not. So I stopped.

I'll definitely try emails and crabs tho

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add copapods (forgot about that). But I have a problem buying those and phytoplankton. I struggle to feed something I can't see. Who knows if they're alive or not. So I stopped.

I'll definitely try emails and crabs tho
If you buy pods and and phyto from a reputable dealer all would assure you that you are getting what you agreed to pay for. After two doses of of dinkins pod blend (can't remember the specific name) and phyto to go with it I have so many big fat healthy pods that I have to scrape them off the glass to photograph it.

Add pods, feed phyto until you run out. Repeat one time. In 5 months you will still be here thinking you were screwed out of money. Then one day you will look at your tank and be shocked at how many pods and the distinctly different varieties you have grown.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granted, I only added 16oz of pods and 16oz of phyto, feeding till gone. Obviously with my system size, 16oz was not enough. But It was a start. Haven't ever seen one on the glass.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back