Issue with premixing 4-5 Gallons of alk and calcium?

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if im posting this in the wrong section.

So Im about to start a new build in the near future and have a question on storing Alk and Calcium. I am wanting to buy or have a custom 4-6 gallon dosing reservoir or use a 5 gallon ATO container for holding the Alk and Calcium. Is there any issues with premixing in this size? what if it takes my tank 5-6 months to go through that amount or longer, will there be issues with the mixture assuming I have it sealed pretty well. Will i need to add some kind of magnetic stirrer inside?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be good as long as it is fully mixed prior to storage and you are not storing both ALK and CA in the same container;). To be safe I would stir it up once you are ready to use it. One of my tanks takes months to go through the gallon jugs of CA and ALK that I dose out of and have not had any issue with it.

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What products are you talking about? Most commercial Alk and Cal products can NOT be mixed together, or they will combine into insoluble Calcium Carbonate and become useless.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the question is ambiguous. You can store calcium and alk solutions independently as long as you want in whatever sizes you want. You cannot combine alk and calcium solutions for any time periods (except those that are inherently combined into a single chemical, such as calcium hydroxide, calcium formate, and calcium acetate).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back