Issues using BRS reactor for Carbon, GFO and pellets?

jtomasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I goig to run into issues if I use my BRS reactor for all three? I currently have carbon and gfo mixed in the top 30ish% of the reactor and cant see why I couldnt add pellets to the bottom 70%. Any chemistry issues?

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of pellets.

If you are talking about bio-pellets?.. no.

Bio-pellets are a form of dosing. The carbon and GFO are a form of filtration (removing things from the water).

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo requires much slower flow than bio pellets I believe....I don't have experience with bio pellets but remember reading somewhere. So my vote on what I read is no and the carbon and gfo shouldn't be together either.

OP
OP
J

jtomasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your replys

Yea, I meant bio pellets. Im not so much worried about flow, not that I disagree but I have read a bunch of posts saying that running more flow through GFO isnt as efficient but still works. That being said, I think I will try all three.

Any other opinions?

always reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run all 3 together, you are going to want to change the gfo and carbon. You don't change the pellets

OP
OP
J

jtomasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had another option but I don't have room for anymore equipment. Its going to be a pain to change the carbon/gfo without taking the biopellets out of the water but such is life, right

CoryC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reactor is also set up different around the dispersion plates when running pellets. So having them in the same column is going to likely reduce the effectiveness of all three. The brs reactors are fairly bulky if I'm not mistaken. A phosban150 reactor is fairly inexpensive and compact so I would consider using that instead .

cet98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon should bounce around. It will cause LL of fish.
I'm hoping this is just a typo ;)
carbon should NOT bounce around....
GFO should lightly (not violently) tumble as it prevents it from solidifying...

BioPellets (IMO) should only be used if you have a large system and feed very heavy...I have seen my fair share of people that strip their water of all elements, good and bad, and see major negative effects on their corals...
if you don't know EXACTLY how to use this product, I suggest you learn and start "small and slow"....

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is your tank? I am guessing not that big cuz of your limited space in sump, I don't think you need to run bio-pellets, can you tell us why you feel you need to run all 3 of these things? I personally was running gfo in a reactor and carbon in mesh bag and leave the bag right at the mouth of my return pump. Sometimes I don't even use carbon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back