Issues with using window glass?

Noahp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone so currently I am in the process of a new build, The tank I'm setting up ivoloves the use of 2 very small (10"X6"X6") inch tanks. After spending 4 hours searching for glass to build these two tanks I gave up. To my surprise while at the dump I saw a very large (6'X3') window. It's not an actual window but had a thin frame which I easily took off, Now I have heard of people using windows, glass doors, or just spare glass to make tanks before but considering the tank I have now has hudreds of dollars in livestock and several fish I have grown very attached to I wanted to hear all the negative effects of using this glass. Is it worth it?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I made glass sumps, I always asked for salvage glass, aka old window glass.
Should be fine.

Palancar

Aussie Acan Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the glass is not tempered before trying to cut it. If it is tempered and you try to cut it the sheet of glass will literally disappear before your eyes and a mess to clean up. Speaking from experience.

OP
OP
N

Noahp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there should be no problems from it being sprayed with like windex or anything? I figured that shouldnt be a big deal since I don't think glass easily absorbs that kind of stuff. I'm 90% sure it's not tempered I tryed drilling a tempered 10 gallon before bad newbie mistake hahaha.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back