James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James’ Red Sea Reefer 350 V3

2024 Update:

Summary:
I've been letting the tank kind of chill for a few years now. Mostly ups, with a few downs. Still learning!
Dosing All-For-Reef to maintain 9 DKH and adding Reef Energy Plus (AB+) weekly has been a game changer in terms of coral growth.

Pests:
1. NO (zero) Aiptasia! I am very happy about this.
2. Vermetid snails - put in bumblebee snails last month, they are slowly destroying them. I'll probably put one in the sump as well.
3. Bubble algae - it pops up here and there in the sump on the powerhead or near the overflow, I just remove it as I find it. About once every few months I find some. I have emerald crabs to make sure it doesn't appear in display.
4. Bristle worms - my reefer friend saw some small ones, but I haven't seen any yet.
5. Hair Algae - only had 1 outbreak last month due to slacking off. I got really sick for about 10 weeks, and couldn't keep up maintenance. It's mostly under control, still working on it. The lights are super blue right now due to trimming the white light out for a bit until I'm 100% we're good.

Livestock:
1. Had some fish die due to age and some jumpers that found the smallest gap where my light arms attach.
2. Lost my tuxedo urchin after about a year, we think he starved.
3. Lost my cleaner shrimp, died after a couple years. Probably due to lack of iodine or other stuff he needed.

Corals:
1. Coral growth is good, most are growing really fast.
2. My mushroom corals are growing, but not as fast as I'd like. I need to figure something out.
3. In 2021 tissue loss on my birds nest corals and one of my plating Montipora died. Everything else was fine. Had another pro reefer come by every 2 weeks for a few months and he was stumped too. We landed on probably a disease or critter we couldn't see that took them out. It's not proven though, just a theory.

Tank emergencies:
1. I got lazy a month ago and ran into a nasty green hairy algae bloom as punishment. The end result was that I bleached 2 of my Montiporas. I've got the algae situation under control and I'm waiting for my Montiporas to regain color. I hope they do!
2. I might have a large urchin up for dibs soon that I used to combat the algae,

Surprise comebacks:
My Alveopora are humming right along after I thought they were toast. I'm going to add some extra rock under them, hoping they grow out onto the rock.

Dosing:
This has been a bit of a pain, sort of. One of my hoses split open, and 30ml of all for reef was dosed to the inside of my tank stand, and the ReefDose2 sometimes just decides to stop talking. Overall though it's been a huge game changer for coral growth.

ATO:
This thing has been an evolving set of issues. Currently I'm ATO'ing into the ATO that comes with the RedSea sump. The Trigger made its way outside of the tank, to make it easier to fill, and to make room for more electronics in the stand. I'm probably going to try the TUNZE Osmolator 3 next to see how well it works.

Overall thoughts:
I'm fairly happy with the journey thus far. I've had some ups and downs, but overall I feel positive. My ATO situation is annoying, I'm looking to fix that. Water changes are a pain, but I'm working on an easier solution that I'll post here if it works. I hire a professional to come help me, due to my physical limitations.

I'd like some new fish, but I don't want to do the QT process really, and it is winter, so I might wait for spring. I like the fish to do something, so I'm not sure what I want to add.

Current Setup Specs:
I replaced or upgraded some items over the past few years. Here is the current setup. I can do better, but it's a slow learning process.

Fish (4):
Springer Damsel - redrum for flat worms
Percula Clownfish - because it's cute
Chromis - just the one, to add movement
Blue Tang - for algae control, this one replaced a bigger one I gave away

Invertebrates:
15-20x Blue Leg Hermits
2x Emerald Crabs
10x Trochus Snails
2x Bumble Bee Snails
2x Pincushion Urchins
Pods!

Tank:
Redsea Reefer 350 Aquarium system

Controller (Monitoring and Alerts):
Apex Controller (monitor PH, Temp, kill switches, timers)

Powerheads:
2x VorTech MP40
2x Limpet Wide Flow Pump Guard - Vortech MP40 Upgrade
Octo Pulse 2 (sump water movement)

Display Lighting:
AI Hydra 26 HD x1 - 70%, red, green, and white cut to almost nothing right now
AI Hydra 64 HD x2 - 55%, red, green, and white cut to almost nothing right now

Refugium Light:
Kessil H80 for Cheato

Return Pump:
Current USA eFlux DC 1900 return pump

Heaters:
Cobalt Aquatics 200watt heater x1
BRS Titanium Heater Element x1
Ink Bird Aquarium Heater Controller x1 (using it as a sacrificial in between)

ATO (Auto Top Off):
RedSea above-sump reservoir
Trigger Systems ATO Reservoir 10g
CoralBox A100 AUTO TOP OFF (ATO) SYSTEM

Biological Filter:
Live rock for display and refugium

Mechanical Filter:
2x Red Sea Filter Media Cup
Blue Ribbon ABLPLY14 Polyester Floss Filter Media (changed bi-weekly)

Chemical Filter:
1x Chemi-Pure Elite 11.74 oz, Boyd Enterprises (replaced every 2 months)

Dosing:
Reef Dose 2
Tropic Marin All-For-Reef (keep DKH at around 9)
RedSea Reef Energy Plus (AB+) (20ml weekly)

Nutrient Sponge:
Cheato

Substrate:
Bare bottom, but I keep a couple piles of debris (shells and coralline falling off the back) to create extra nitrates otherwise they go to zero.

Copepods:
Add extra when the population looks depleted. Once every 6 months. If I added phytoplankton instead, I probably would have more pods.

Salt:
Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt Mix (35% water change monthly)

Chiller (emergency):
JBJ Mini Arctica Chiller 1/15 HP

Water Station:
5 Stage Premium Plus 150 GPD Water Saver RO/DI System
BRS Titanium Heater Element x1
Ink Bird Aquarium Heater Controller x1 (using it as a sacrificial in between)
Random powerhead from amazon (gone through a few)
32 gallon Brute

Power:
Telsa solar + Powerwall
APC Battery backup (in tank stand for power blips)
WEN 56310i-RV Super Quiet 3100watt Portable Inverter Generator

Future plans:​

1. Move to TUNZE Osmolator 3 for ATO
2. Move frags from the back-right into the main display, to fill out the left side a bit more
3. Deal with the GSP - it keeps growing up the glass, I trim it bi-monthly
4. Get the Zoanthids under control, It has created a rug on the bottom, I trim it bi-monthly
5. Find a way to get the Ricordea to grow better

Maybe Plans:​

Try an Algae scrubber. Add a couple other fish, but not sure which.

Pictures:​

The lights have only been on for 45min, so the Alveopora are not fully out yet. I'm back to a hyper-blue look until I am sure the hair algae is under complete control. I think about another 2 weeks. I might start to add some spectrum back to see if it helps the Monti's recover.

IMG_4524.jpg

IMG_4525.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

IMG_4527.jpg
IMG_4528.jpg
IMG_4530.jpg
IMG_4532.jpg

2019:​

James’ Red Sea Reefer 350 V3
I try to source as much locally as possible and spread the love between the stores I want to keep going. Saying that, I am not immune from looking for deals. I'm doing this in multiple phases. I think I have just about everything covered this time around. I refuse to let a Hurricane take me down this time! Screw you Irma! I probably need a second generator, though I'm hoping to get a Tesla Powerwall to pair with my Solar array instead.

If I missed anything, feel free to add comments. The more information I have the better.

Phase 1 (4-5 weeks):
  • Setup fish quarantine (done)
  • Setup invertibrate quarantine (done)
  • Setup coral quarantine (done)
  • Setup tank and all of the equipment (done)
  • Bleach and dechlorinate rock (2+ weeks) (done)
  • Create and add aquascape (done)
  • Fill the system with saltwater (done)
  • Cycle Tank (3-4 weeks). <— current
Phase 2:
  • Add a small fish from quarantine
  • Add a clean up crew from quarantine
  • Wait, monitor and watch (2 weeks)
Phase 3:
  • Add some coral frags from quarantine (LPS/softies)
Phase 4 (repeat in 2 week cycles):
  • Add a few more coral frags from quarantine (SPS)
  • Add a fish or two from quarantine

Tank:
Reefer 350 Aquarium system

Powerheads:
Octo Pulse 4
Octo Pulse 2
Tunze 6065 x2 (backup)

Lighting:
AI Hydra 26 HD x2
Solarmax T5HO (backup, ATI blue plus/coral plus)
Kessil A80 x2 (backup)

Controller (Monitoring and Alerts):
Apex EL

Sump Components:
Current USA eFlux DC return pump
Sicce Syncra Silent 3.5 return pump (backup)
Reef Octopus 110ss skimmer (extra pump as backup)
Cobalt Aquatics 200watt heater x2 (w/AutoAqua Smart Temp, redundancy with high temp cutoff and alarm for both)
Kessil H80 (refugium light)
Kessil A80 (refugium light, backup)
Trigger Systems ATO Reservoir 10g
AutoAqua AWC

Biological Filter:
Live rock for display, Marine Pure in the sump.

Nutrient Sponge (phase 3):
Cheato

Substrate:
Bare bottom

Salt:
Red Sea Blue Bucket

Water Station:
Bulk Reef Supply, 4 Stage Value Plus RO/DI system
Cobalt Aquatics 150watt heater
Reef Power RP-M powerhead (very unimpressed, going to move a Tunze in and throw this junk away)
32 gallon Brute

Power:
APC Battery backup, looking at Icecap backup for an Octo Pulse instead
WEN 56310i-RV Super Quiet 3100watt Portable Inverter Generator (long power outage)
6x 10gallon gas cans

Temperature (too high):
Chiller, model TBD
1 gallon jugs on stand by frozen with RODI water in them

Starting Pics:
At the store, the tank has arrived! Muhahahaha!
(Coral Corral in Oldsmar, FL)
IMG_3704.JPG

The gentleman that did the install was great. People make the difference for me. The rates were super fair. I'll gladly refer them and choose them again. From time of order, to physical install, it was less than 2 weeks.
IMG_0040.JPG

I installed the AI Hydra 26s after 6 months of debating which light I wanted. I got them for $350 locally instead of the increased price and having to wait for delivery, so I was happy about that.

The first mount was difficult, but I took my time and it went well. The second mount was very quick to put together. The software on these AI devices is what pushed me over the edge to choose them. My second choice would have been 2-3 Radion XR15's, but they were overkill I think. I guess we'll see.

The Octo Pulse's will arrive Thursday (3/28), the Tunze's are chilling in there until then.

(Marine Warehouse, Tampa, FL)
IMG_8734.JPG

I ran into some issues with the return pump, but I figured it out:
IMG_9155.JPG IMG_5757.JPG IMG_9767.JPG IMG_2927.JPG IMG_8128.JPG

Last edited:

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. I’m going to try bare bottom again. It will limit my stocking options but I won’t have to vacuum sand. It’s a trade off I’m willing to attempt.

You have the option of going with a courser sand and not too thick a bed (1.5 inches) and increase your options. ;)

OP
OP
James Tucker

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the option of going with a courser sand and not too thick a bed (1.5 inches) and increase your options. ;)

I’ve done deep and shallow with fine, medium and coarse over the last 20 years, but I only tried bare bottom once. I want to try it again. It’s easier to scrape all the way down the bottom of the glass without picking up grains of sand in the scraper.

There is one sand I’ll never do again. Black. Scratched the heck out of my glass.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done deep and shallow with fine, medium and coarse over the last 20 years, but I only tried bare bottom once. I want to try it again. It’s easier to scrape all the way down the bottom of the glass without picking up grains of sand in the scraper.

There is one sand I’ll never do again. Black. Scratched the heck out of my glass.

I will look forward to seeing your build pictures!
By the way, I am jealous as I wish I had the room in my living room for the Reefer 350 but could only get the Reefer 250 approved by my better half. :mad:

OP
OP
James Tucker

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will look forward to seeing your build pictures!
By the way, I am jealous as I wish I had the room in my living room for the Reefer 350 but could only get the Reefer 250 approved by my better half. :mad:

I was strongly considering the 250, but I ended up getting the 350 so that I could put a few more fish in and get a bigger sump. I was fortunate enough to have the room for a 48" tank. I would have liked a 60" and it would have fit, but it would have not matched the space. In my next house, I'm going to plan out a much larger tank ahead of time as part of the space which should work out a lot better I think. If we move, and if I have the money that is lol.

One quick question, is there a reason why you didn't select a Tunze ATO?

Oh, this one I had a LOT of thought on. I debated it in my mind for a couple months.

The short answer: Flexibility with ATO and water change support and the ability to use just about any pump I want with it.

The long answer:
The biggest reason is that after reading articles and reviews, I noticed a trend that the pump on the Tunze tends to burn out pretty fast. I don't know if that is from Kalk buildup in the ATO or something else, but I would need to buy the unit and then buy extra matching pumps to have on stand by. I'd also be limited to ATO on it. The backup float is a good option I like though. I'm going to have to come up with my own option for the AWC.

I choose the Auto Aqua AWC because it came with 3 pumps and a controller that I could connect the "AutoAqua Smart AC Socket (https://www.coralvue.com/smart-ac-socket)" to. With that smart AC socket, I can connect just about any pump I want at a later date to the controller. With the support of up to 3 pumps, with corresponding sensors, I can use much more powerful pumps with the water change feature on the unit. This will let me run tubing to and from the garage each Sunday to make water changes easier and quicker. I'm a sucker for flexibility and multi-use, as long as it works. I gave the features a whirl on my frag tank and they worked really well.

I thought about using dosing pumps for ATO and water changes, but there are some obstructions in my way do set something like that up at this time, but maybe down the road.

I'm going to be using the Auto Aqua AWC to top off my Red Sea Reefer ATO. Due to the extremely low level in the return pump chamber, not having an ATO is impossible I think. Though I think it needs to be that low to receive the volume of water from the tank when you turn off the return pump unless you install a check valve, which is another point of failure lol.

Jaengle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked at ordering their rock before. If it's shipped, does it need to be cured?

OP
OP
James Tucker

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked at ordering their rock before. If it's shipped, does it need to be cured?

I would acclimate, but not cure. I would not put it into an existing tank, especially one that is doing well on its own. I don't think I would use it with a tank that would go heavy SPS either. That is my opinion though. For example, the first hour, I saw a white nudibranch. I could not tell what kind it was, coral eating or aiptasia eating, but it definitely had that on it.

Their rock comes with a bunch of critters and stuff on it. It was packed in double plastic bags with enough water to cover the rock entirely. I ordered 10lbs of rock and it came with about 15lbs of water, so almost 2 gallons of sea water. It is transported in the same manner as live fish and/or coral that you would buy online and is packaged just the same. I took some pics before I pulled it out and put it into the tank, so if you want to see, hit me up on personal message.

Their intention seems to be to keep the organisms and critters alive. Curing the rock traditionally would most likely kill everything on the rock, which is the opposite of what you would want with this kind of product.

While I would never put this stuff directly into a tank that is already setup and cycled, I would definitely put it into a tank that is being setup for the first time, for which you want a more natural environment.

If you want an articles about it the "15 Steps to Starting a Saltwater Aquarium: The Lasse Method" is a good one here on Reef2Reef and what pointed me to this particular vendor:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/15-steps-to-starting-a-saltwater-aquarium-the-lasse-method.597/

OP
OP
James Tucker

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Edited to change pics to thumbnails)

Tank is ready for rock and water finally. I still need to do some better cable management. I ran out of velcro an I’m going to pick up more this week sometime.

Ignore the marine pure block up front. I’m going to be using the tank to cycle it while the whole thing cycles, but it has a different destination.

I put the Kessil controller in the back bottom since it is magnetic. It’s easy to grab and bring to the front. Everything on the boards can be removed and the boards are using ultra strong Velcro on each corner, so they are removable/replaceable as well. I might pull them out and paint them if this works out well.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Also the coral in the frag tank are doing ok so far. SPS is growing, slowly, but growing. The birds nest is growing the fastest.

The gsp and Xenia probably won’t make it to the display. I just like the way they look.

D8CAED62-63EC-4A54-8AD2-4D5B8F75DF1B.jpeg

Last edited:

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that you still have both the media cup and the micron filter bag that ship with the Red Sea Reefers in the sump, have you given any thought to switching to 2 media cups and avoid the cleaning of the bags that are a PIA?

OP
OP
James Tucker

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did not want to buy new rock...

3 weeks of bleaching, 2 months of curing, 4 weeks of sun bleaching, and then 2 more weeks of bleaching. Now I need to get them to dechlorinate. I’m going to let them bake in the Florida sun for a while before I start the dechlorination process.

Going to go for a two island setup I think.

1271A0FD-1CD2-479B-ABA9-834EAFD5DFDD.jpeg 47FA4B20-9D3D-4073-85C4-FD1CF2641749.jpeg B73C2E45-7010-48DF-91B5-6C8E8BA6F840.jpeg

OP
OP
James Tucker

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that you still have both the media cup and the micron filter bag that ship with the Red Sea Reefers in the sump, have you given any thought to switching to 2 media cups and avoid the cleaning of the bags that are a PIA?

I did think about it, but I’ve had a lot of success with the filter sock/skimmer setup. I empty mine every other day and rotate them with bleaching and drying/resting, so that might be why it worked well for me.

I’m not sure about the nylon, in regard to if it’s dense enough to do the job properly.

I’m still thinking about it. I’ve got a bit of time to decide.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did think about it, but I’ve had a lot of success with the filter sock/skimmer setup. I empty mine every other day and rotate them with bleaching and drying/resting, so that might be why it worked well for me.

I’m not sure about the nylon, in regard to if it’s dense enough to do the job properly.

I’m still thinking about it. I’ve got a bit of time to decide.

I decided to order another RS media cup and put pieces of floss in one cup and a bag of Chemi Pure Blue in the other one.

OP
OP
James Tucker

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other option is to buy the RS carbon that ships with a mesh bag, put it on the bottom of one media cup with floss on top.
https://www.redseafish.com/hardware/reef-spec-carbon/

I've got a whole bunch of ReefSpec Carbon and I drop a bag in for a few days then pull it to keep the water clearer. I do that every couple weeks.

I was using "Chemipure Elite" on the frag tank, but I think it contributing to the tank being too clean. But I might use it with the larger tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back