OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next round of fish are in QT. Like before I'll log my QT results, good or bad, so others can learn form either my experience or lack thereof.

WWC was having an in store special so we ran over to see what they had. Not much in the way of wrasses that I want but they did have a medium size melanarus, an engineer goby, and a sleeper goby that my wife liked. All were active in their respective tanks and looked healthy though the engineer is tiny so hard to tell. I also picked up a bubble tip anemone.

I got home and immediately noticed a dark splotch on the left side of the wrasse. It wasn't there in the store so I'm assuming it occurred during the bagging as he was a pain to catch, though they were able to avoid using a net. I think for now it's like a bruise or abrasion so I'll watch for any signs of a bacteria infection. Food will be treated with Selcon for now. Late last night the wrasse was still out but this morning was nowhere to be found, which means he found the pyrex dish of sand. Good sign IMO. He's out an about now, so an even better sign. I'm going to go longer on the initial observation period for now than I did last go around. I definitely worry that last time I ramped up the copper to quick and too soon. I didn't realize copper affected a fish's immune system so treating so quick with copper may have doomed the anthias to whatever bacteria infection they ultimately died from, inhibiting their ability to fight it off.

I also have my 60 cube available now. So I will likely to any treatment necessary in the 20 long and then move them over to the 60 cube for a much longer observation period before getting into the DT.

Edited to add:
All fish are eating, so at least I don't have tow dry about that for now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics

2a2224d8124cd27cce0735c99eaf306b.jpg

855ff109aeff82bbe8dcb8b49c355785.jpg

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed yesterday that the engineer goby had a distended belly. I mixed up kanaplex, metroplex, focus, and the food and started the 10-day regimen. It appears it may have just been a blockage as today the engineer goby looks perfect. I'll keep up the 10 day regimen anyway.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had the joy of my orang back deciding to play in the overflow. This is why I left the tank 18" off the wall. I was able to turn off the return, squeeze back there, and net him. Unfortunately the net got into his gills. I was able to very gently remove it but only time will tell if he escaped injury. I will likely need to invest some time in coming up with a overflow cover solution.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved the engineer blenny into a 10gal as I read they are scaleless and should not be treated with copper. So, TTM for him. First dose of copper safe in for the melanarus and sleeper goby. Cutting it close but I think I can get copper up to therapeutic level by Sunday afternoon so I can hit 14 days on the dot and move them over into the 60 cube for a 2-3 week observation. Worst case, they get an extra week of copper while I'm away and then go into the 60. Engineer goby should be in there next Friday. He's seemingly happy so far having 10gal to himself.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move to tank 3 for the engineer goby is up for today. Melanarus and sleeper goby are doing just fine in their copper treatment, now on day 3. New, as the picture above shows, appears to be pretty happy in his QT as well. Only a few more days and he gets to move on over to the DT!

DT is doing well. I finally got some cheato in for the fuge and have the H380 blasting it off and on throughout the night and for an hour or two during the day as well. Cheato is growing and the DT is looking better. It's funny, all of the pukani rock developed some type of flaky surface algae that doesn't seem to be growing anymore, just slowly falling off. Since the cheato, I haven't noticed any growing back where snails eat it.

All corals in the DT seem to be doing well too, if not growing very fast. A couple of the acan frags have sprouted a baby head and I can see growth from 2 of the 3 acan ecnhinata frags too. Moving the hammer around trying to find it a happy spot as it seems to be getting too much flow wherever I put it so it doesn't extend the polyps much.

I can certainly endorse 2 Stream 3's and a Gyre XF-250 for a standard 220 lol! Ton of flow. My back left corner has been consistently bare due to the flow actually. To that end, I place a piece of flat rock in that corner. For my 60 cube, I had bought a ceramic back wall rock that covered the back wall of a 60 cube from rim to bottom and corner to overflow. Unfortunately, it broke in half during our move to FL. However, one half fit nearly perfectly into the back left corner of the 220 on top of the sand. There are some pvs pieces underneath should the engineer goby go crazy underneath it. In the mean time, I really like it for now. May take it out and try to get the sand more level again before placing it back, but it gives a different seascape than what I've normally seen in a tank. Plus, it might be in the perfect position light-wise to actually have a zoa garden, if the flow allows.

I know I mentioned this in a previous post, but our solar system is now installed. Just waiting on the final county inspection and then for the power company to replace the meter with a 2-way meter. At that point, we'll be running on sun power! Installers were great and managed to get all but two of the panels on our south facing roof and lanai roof. That's 19.8kW of panels, on a south facing roof, in central Florida. The goal was to have enough to power 100% of our energy needs including all of the equipment for the new tank. Wish us luck!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT update.

Engineer goby is looking pretty rough. Should have been getting moved into the 60 cube today for 2-3 week observation but since the last TTM it's been weak/lethargic and seemed to be breathing heavy. It is still eating, which is good, though it doesn't go for the food immediately. I thought that possibly it was ammonia even though the alert badge showed nothing so I added a powerhead to point at the surface to get more air exchange, added prime, and some bacteria in a bottle for good measure. It almost got sucked into the powerhead so I quickly unplugged it and am running an air pump for increased O2 now. I also dosed some Ruby Reef Rally. Basically took the shot gun approach. This was all yesterday with the exception of the RRR which was early this morning.

I have seen increased activity today though it frequently just hangs out in one corner. Occasionally it swims around a little, then back to the corner. Since this was the 4th TTM, I'll keep it this tank for observation at least until tomorrow. If it continues to show signs of improvement, I'll move it to the 60 cube, with the MP40 off, which is empty save sand and rock since the nem got moved over into the DT.

Wrasse and sleeper goby are still doing fine in copper. Both eat voraciously and have stayed active.

Nem got moved to the DT late yesterday. Of course it moved and I panicked until I found out back in some rock work.

Finally getting some coralline algae to grow. Noticed some spots on the overflow and Stream 3's today. I'm due for a water change so hopefully that will boost growth of the coralline and corals. The cheato in the fuge is exploding. I definitely had some nutrients, which I knew, but am hoping that a healthy amount of cheato, along with the skimmer, will help keep everything in control long term.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another QT update. General consensus in the fish disease forum was that the engineer goby has velvet. My choices were to do a velvet aimed TTM which is essentially performing a transfer daily, try to find CP, or try chelated copper. Apparently chelated copper can be used with scaleless fish though it is still risky. I decided on chelated copper. First dose was last night, second this am, third will be tonight, and 4th and final tomorrow morning.

On the bright side, the goby is already showing significant signs of improvement. Much more active, more energy, eating better.

On the DT side, the nem moved again. Took about 15 minutes to find it. Scared to death it's going to find a power head.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish all survived my brief absence without issue. My lovely daughter fed them while I was out.

The engineer blenny keeps looking better, even with copper. Very active, like when I first got him. Hoping he tolerates the copper over time as well.

Melanarus and sleeper goby are just two days from transfer to the 60 cube for a couple of weeks of observation.

In the DT, the anemone actually stayed put while I was gone, and in a visible spot even. Hoping it hangs out there long term.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sleeper goby and melanarus are out of copper and into the more luxurious accommodations of a 60 cube.
d61ab43f0da2220f60a09903d10e07ae.jpg

They’ll stay here for at least a couple of weeks to ensure the copper did its job. Goal is to have them moved over before I put the engineer goby in though.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my daughter tells me last night "Dad, your engineer goby had white, stringy poo when I fed him." Yes! My 15yo daughter not only feeds my QT tank for me but is actually looking for things that might be wrong! Pretty happy daddy.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sleeper goby was stuck to the side of the MP40 yesterday afternoon. No real idea of what was wrong, nothing was readily apparent on the body. He did jump into the overflow and had to be netted out. But even after that he was active in the tank for a couple of days before becoming reclusive. I honestly thought he was just enjoying the sand and cover like most gobies do.

The wrasse that was in with him is still acting and looking fine. No flashing or head twitching. No labored breathing. He mainly cruises on corner of the tank chasing is reflection or hoping to get to the DT lol! When not doing that, he cruises the tank looking for pods.

Engineer goby is still chugging along in copper power. I was able to make my own medicated food that I can actually stick to the side of the aquarium he's in and he'll come up and nibble on that. Day 14 of copper will be up tomorrow but just saw some additional flashing today. So at least another 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then there were 6. Fish that is.

Melanarus graduated to the DT today. Engineer goby has its own thread in the fish disease forum. Outlook honestly doesn't look too promising but as long as it keeps eating I'll keep giving it a chance. Still not sure if it's a swim bladder or something else.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice build thread!

And on a complete side note, I have an awesome wife. She supports this hobby completely and actively tries to find ways to free up more money for it including going without a hobby herself. I guess this is her hobby too, she just has no interest in doing anything other than looking at the tanks lol! I'll take it.

I think I maybe in the same boat! Wife is definitely supportive but she actually seems to be into this one!

So, I noticed the wrasse had torn up fins when I got him into the DT and thought the female clown must have gotten short on space in the 10gal TTM tanks. Then I noticed some discoloration on it's side. Bacterial infection. Near as I can tell, I likely didn't clean or dry some of the TTM equipment sufficiently and there was enough bleach left to do damage. Pretty upset at myself as I thought I had cleaned everything sufficiently.

Any hindsight tips for ensuring all the bleach is removed for future considerations? Was it a matter of not enough dechlorinator or just not enough rinsing? Thoughts?

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build thread!

I think I maybe in the same boat! Wife is definitely supportive but she actually seems to be into this one!

Any hindsight tips for ensuring all the bleach is removed for future considerations? Was it a matter of not enough dechlorinator or just not enough rinsing? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Just not enough rinsing and/or drying. Also, I generally broke the QT tank down the day after the transfer rather than immediately after transfer. That 24 hours can make a difference. Now I generally break down a QT within a couple of hours of transferring fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back