OP
OP
Gill the 3rd

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i can post some updates - mainly to my mixing station and rodi top off. I was using the tunze ATO for the past 5 or 6 years, but the optical sensor finally crapped on me and wont turn the pump on. I tried cleaning it in citric acid and scrubbing it, but its no longer working. I always was intrigued by the gravity fed ATO that Jake Adams preached, mainly because it was so simple. I never did it before because of how my tank was set up, but now that I have a basement sump - I can do what I want!

So I built a little stand to elevate my RODI barrel and drilled/installed a float valve in my sump. I did add a ball valve to shut off the flow if I want to drain my sump and clean it. I also added the flood guardian optical sensor and solenoid valve as well. I placed the optical sensor in my sump, just above the water line when my return pump is off. That way if my float valve somehow gets stuck open, the optical sensor and solenoid will shut off flow.

IMG_8117.jpg
IMG_8118.jpg

I also updated my saltwater mixing barrel and water change system. I added an external pump, with ball valves to mix the water. I also added garden hose quick disconnects so I can easily change water using my return pump and the pump on the saltwater mixing barrel. I also added a quick disconnect to my sewer line from a sink upstairs. I just turn my return pump off to fill my sump and I pretty much return pump and a 6 ft hose to pump all the water out of the sump. I then then swap over to the saltwater mixing barrel and fill my sump up using the mixing barrel sump. Super easy and I can do a 70 gallon water change in 10 minutes without lifting a single bucket. I will get more pictures next time I do a water change.

IMG_8116.jpg

IMG_8119.jpg

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great looking tank. The support equipment is interesting as well. Where did you get the brackets that support the refugium?

OP
OP
Gill the 3rd

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back