jbj 28g nano questions

philipjdm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello i have a 28g advanced nano tank? the one with leds. i've noticed the skimmer that jbj offers is pretty bad... anyone with a different brand one?? and also anyone running a different LED set up not using the oem hood? thanks!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello i have a 28g advanced nano tank? the one with leds. i've noticed the skimmer that jbj offers is pretty bad... anyone with a different brand one?? and also anyone running a different LED set up not using the oem hood? thanks!

I don't think any of the nano skimmers are very good. I have a jbj 12g nano and just do water changes to keep things in line. As far as lights, I replaced the stock cf bulbs with a Steve's LEDs retrofit kit and couldn't be happier. These lights have a dimmer, which is super important. They fit under the existing splash guard. I love them!!!

McAllyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After tons of searching for a skimmer for my 28g Nano, and after spending tons of money on a bunch of ones that didn't work, I found the eShoppes PSK-75H Hang on Back worked terrific. The input and output pipes drop into the skimmer and heater channels in the back leaving access to the overflow compartment, and the lid still opens 60-70% for cleaning without having to remove the skimmer. Not to mention, it's an actual skimmer that really skims things out.

The only other skimmer that people have rated well to work with the Nanos is the AquaMaxx HOB-1. If the eShoppes hadn't worked out, I would have bit the bullet and bought it.

Mac

ETA: Oh, and after resetting the tank up as a frag tank, I've removed the hood and am running a Reef Radiance DM-155e. WAAYYY overpowered, actually ordered the DM-132e, but they were out of stock, so Rick offered me a deal on the 155. I can grow anything I want in that tank now.

Last edited:

Nevil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same tank but qith the hqi mh light. I did a ton of research and went with the aquamax hob-1. I love this skimmer i picked mine up used for about half of what a new one costs.

OP
OP
P

philipjdm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow thanks for the quick and helpful replies! so the question now is to keep my nano or go to a bigger tank.... =/ decisions decisions....

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 57 47.9%
  • Full frame

Votes: 23 19.3%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 44 37.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back