JBJ bulbs work for Oceanic BioCube?

FishBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is the wrong area or a dumb question but I can't find an answer. I have had a Oceanic 14g Biocube for a few years now, and it has become primarily a clownfish tank in my bedroom, with a few soft corals. Anyways, I want a more blue look than the normal bulb setup provides, and since I have always just bought 1 of each replacement bulb (10,000k & Actinic) I have always had the same color. I notice that the JBJ bulbs are also straight pin, and same wattage as the Oceanic bulbs, and I see that there is a 50/50 bulb for the JBJ but not the Oceanic. I would like to try one Actinic and one 50/50 in my Biocube to see if that gives me the more blue color I would like to get out of the tank, but I cant seem to find info if that 50/50 does fit and work in my Oceanic tank. Can someone help me to verify whether that 50/50 will work or if i would just be wasting 20 dollars for nothing?

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all same wattage bulbs should be fine just some are a little different in lengths but it usually dosnt matter

OP
OP
FishBeard

FishBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all same wattage bulbs should be fine just some are a little different in lengths but it usually dosnt matter

Is this a generalized answer or a yes/no to my question? I'm aware with like t5 an normal cfl that usually everything is the same, but I'm also aware that the biocube bulbs are fairly proprietary to the tank setup, I'm trying to figure out if I'm wasting money on the JBJ bulb to find out firsthand it doesn't work and i have to pay shipping for another bulb that does work.

OP
OP
FishBeard

FishBeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I ended up taking the risk it wouldn't work and ordered a Coralife 13" 24w 50/50 bulb along with the actinic i knew would work. At first I thought the 50/50 wasnt going to fit right, since it didnt seem to want to plug into the socket, but a little extra force and it snapped into place. Flip the switch and it worked. So I have the 50/50 set up in the front with the white tube positioned behind the actinic tube, and the full actinic bulb in the back. My 14g BioCube now looks just like my ATI/KZ powered Tek setup on my 180g reef tank. I am VERY pleased with the color and that the bulb worked. Im not really worried about growth issues, since the tank is just a few softies and a pair of clowns.

Evo728

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you take pics of this set up? How has your corals been doing? Are they growling good? Someone as well recommended this to me!

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 51 48.1%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 19.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 39 36.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back