Jbj dx 12 gal

danielsreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen a lot people say not to use the stock filters I was just woundering what people are yousing and what's working good I'm new to all this still

Last edited:

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tagging along since I'm buying one today off of a guy from our club. I've heard some people running skimmer and a fuge(chaeto) in one of the chambers. I'm also wondering what other options are out there.

Ricks Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 12 gallon DX a couple years back,I would take all the stock filtration out and use chemipure elite in the 1st chamber (Overflow) That will help keep water crystal clear and phosphates down.A surface skimmer like this one Modular Surface Skimmer (Fits 6g Model)(make sure its for a 12 gallon though) Change your powerhead to a Maxijet 900 for much better water movement.Keep up on water changes and you should be good to go.Good Luck!

OP
OP
D

danielsreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 12 gallon DX a couple years back,I would take all the stock filtration out and use chemipure elite in the 1st chamber (Overflow) That will help keep water crystal clear and phosphates down.A surface skimmer like this one Modular Surface Skimmer (Fits 6g Model)(make sure its for a 12 gallon though) Change your powerhead to a Maxijet 900 for much better water movement.Keep up on water changes and you should be good to go.Good Luck!

did you run anying other then the chemipure in the tank or that it

Ricks Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure ELITE which has phosphate remover in it as well as carbon.Just make sure to keep up on your water changes and you should be good.

OP
OP
D

danielsreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was think of doing a diy rack for chamber 1 and use Chemipure ELITE and Purigen 2nd chamber use live rock rubble

what do you guys think of that

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was think of doing a diy rack for chamber 1 and use Chemipure ELITE and Purigen 2nd chamber use live rock rubble

what do you guys think of that

Hi danielsreef,

Sounds like it would work. I'm not personally a fan of live rock rubble in a filter or sump as it can collect detritus over time and lead to high nitrates, but if you can keep it clean i'm sure it would work. If you already have live rock in the main part of the tank, I would skip the rubble altogether. ChemiPure Elite would be great by itself, but you can add the Purigen if you want some extra media in there. As long as you keep up on your water changes, you should be fine!

Regards,

Chris R.

OP
OP
D

danielsreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi danielsreef,

Sounds like it would work. I'm not personally a fan of live rock rubble in a filter or sump as it can collect detritus over time and lead to high nitrates, but if you can keep it clean i'm sure it would work. If you already have live rock in the main part of the tank, I would skip the rubble altogether. ChemiPure Elite would be great by itself, but you can add the Purigen if you want some extra media in there. As long as you keep up on your water changes, you should be fine!

Regards,

Chris R.
thanks chris and marine depot love your guys stuff

NaplesAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss in first chamber, ChemiPure Elite in second. Liv e rock goes in the tank, not the back. Been running for years, floss changed with water changes, ChemiPure every six months.

Jeff

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I maintain a JBJ 12 gallon now and use chemipure elite as well. Be careful though with topping off your tank. In the first chamber your CE can actually hold back a lot of water and will how you a false water level.

Also, be careful if you upgrade the stock pump to anything else if you plan to have a plate coral. I have one and having anything more than the stock pump causes the plate to stay upset that it can't fully extend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jenikat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st Chamber - Intank Media Basket w/ filter floss, chaeto & submersible light, purigen
2nd Chamber - BioCube Skimmer - I've heard people don't seem to like this skimmer much, but in my experience, it does what I need it to do, and the important thing was tuning it right
3rd Chamber - MJ900

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 56 47.5%
  • Full frame

Votes: 23 19.5%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 44 37.3%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back