Jbj nano HQI upgrade to LED question

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone done the upgrade from the 150 HQI to LED? I am looking into it and saw the DIY fro nanotuners....
Nanocustoms 5.6 LED Retro Kit (For BC29, NC28**$399.95....with that said, I have no problems doing it myself, but I noticed for the same price of $399 I can buy a brand new one direct from JBJ. Does anyone know if there is a difference? If not, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a brand new one, already put together?

Thanks

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our JBJ rep was in the area for a few months and was demoing all the new stuff for JBJ to all the stores and gave us all his stuff that he was using for demo for free before he left and in there was the LED hood. They say it's equivalent to a 150 watt MH. We honestly didn't even put it on a nano to try it on, we gutted the LEDs out of the hood and mounted them on top of our mangrove tank. During that process we took off 4 blue LEDs. All white LEDs were left. Let me tell you, the color is butt ugly! it looks like 6500k. I don;t know if those 4 blue LEDs would make a difference since the ratio of whites vs blue is like 20:1. (Estimate). The par values under the light about 12" down were 185 i think it was. Overall it is an ok light. If the aftermarket one has more blues I would get that, but make sure it has a nice par value.

Mufasa31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the nanotuners 5.6 for my BioCube 29.
Very easy install.
I am now in the process of trying to acclimate coral to the light.
I talked to another person with a similar set up and they said it is a slow process to acclimate, but once you are there, the coral grow fast.
I got 3 strips of blue and 2 strips of white leds.

OP
OP
CSJIII

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our JBJ rep was in the area for a few months and was demoing all the new stuff for JBJ to all the stores and gave us all his stuff that he was using for demo for free before he left and in there was the LED hood. They say it's equivalent to a 150 watt MH. We honestly didn't even put it on a nano to try it on, we gutted the LEDs out of the hood and mounted them on top of our mangrove tank. During that process we took off 4 blue LEDs. All white LEDs were left. Let me tell you, the color is butt ugly! it looks like 6500k. I don;t know if those 4 blue LEDs would make a difference since the ratio of whites vs blue is like 20:1. (Estimate). The par values under the light about 12" down were 185 i think it was. Overall it is an ok light. If the aftermarket one has more blues I would get that, but make sure it has a nice par value.

This kits seems more balanced with blue to white.

Reef Led Lights Deluxe XR-E R2 LED Kits

Its also about a $200 savings over nanotuners 5.6. I would like to have LED for use with my Neptune Apex for cloud simulation. I know its silly but If I can, why not. I also have my hood jacked up with a fan cooling the light and there is a bunch of evaporation. I would like to have my hood right on the tank for aesthetics and that's another reason I'm looking into it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 92 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back