IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0344.JPG

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb I’m going to try Red Sea Reef Energy AB+ this time around it’s good for a couple of weeks without fridgeration unlike their previous Reef Energy. I’ve done a lot of research and found a lot about macro nutrients they don’t promote nuisance algae as much.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. Was really cool learning from you. Just now in the beginning stages of planning our first reef tank.
Thanks, When it gets rolling start a build thread, actually start one now in the planning stages!. Look forward to following.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could next quite get it to focus but after feeding my red Scolymia closed up on what looked like a ball of thread. It isn't the tunicles. More like threads? Looks normal today.

IMG_0962.JPG
IMG_0980.JPG

Its tunicles when extended look like this. The white filament was like thread.

20210704_125630.jpg

I have never seen it do that before and wonder what it is?

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to raise the nutrients in the tank and its working . Corals are looking good.
I am noticing a lot more algae on the glass. I do have to clean it daily and figured it was from more nutrients.

Checked my UV Sicce pump and it was barley turning. A lot of calcium on the impeller. Dismantled it and soaked the impeller and other parts in 9% vinegar for about an hour. Operating perfectly now.

This morning no algae on the glass. WOW! :D

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to raise the nutrients in the tank and its working . Corals are looking good.
I am noticing a lot more algae on the glass. I do have to clean it daily and figured it was from more nutrients.

Checked my UV Sicce pump and it was barley turning. A lot of calcium on the impeller. Dismantled it and soaked the impeller and other parts in 9% vinegar for about an hour. Operating perfectly now.

This morning no algae on the glass. WOW! :D
@Jeffcb although my return pump must be in the return section, I moved my UV pump to the skimmer section. Since I dose my minerals in the return section I don’t get any calcium in the UV pump. Just wondering if you could do something like this.

Mitch.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeffcb although my return pump must be in the return section, I moved my UV pump to the skimmer section. Since I dose my minerals in the return section I don’t get any calcium in the UV pump. Just wondering if you could do something like this.

Mitch.
My UV pump is in the skimmer section. I dose directly in the tank until I get a doser. Its only 65 gallons. The calcium is everywhere. The impeller was caked with calcium. Just gotta keep an eye on those pumps.

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few new pics.

Strawberry Shortcake is really starting to grow! Was just a little frag in Dec.

IMG_1256 (2).JPG

Bubble gum Digi is making the OK sign. Will it close?

IMG_1269 (2).JPG

I forget what that is but its growing!

IMG_1257 (2).JPG

Meteor Shower has covered its plug nicely and is spreading on the rock.

IMG_1274 (2).JPG

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my first frag!! I had too becuase the Green Slimmer was growing over and touching my Bubble Gum Digi. The Digi didnt like that. I dont really know how to do this so just snapped it off and glued it to a plug. I guess I need to start researching fragging.

20210818_120412.jpg

OP
OP
Jeffcb

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up in the middle of the night with the sump low and blowing air bubbles. Added a little top off water and went back to bed. Disassembled Red Sea float valve. It was full of some sort of slime. No telling what. My sump has all kinds of stuff living and growing in it. I even have several baby Trocus Snails. I guessed they are breeding. Soak it in vinagar and cleaned it well. Very simple to do.
20210824_154906.jpg
Works great now.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back