Jebao too strong, need nem guard anyway. Recomendations?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so...

I got these 2 jebao powerheads, 1 of ejich is a gyre, and even though they are recommended for a 75G they are too dang strong.

At minimum speed its like a river in my tank, I have no cleaned them once since starting in october, and they are still strong af.

But... I need to nem guard them, so I figure this would be the perfect time to also address the rediculous power of these pumps.

The current configuration is opposite ends of tank, gyre near top pushing straight accross, and powerhead about 7 inches from surface aiming 20% towards the surface deviating from straight ahead.

What would yall recomended, since jebao does not have a specific anemone guard product, I should do, to both protect my nem coming next week, AND reduce the flow so that I may better randomize the movement of water?

Tldr: nem guard recomendations/ideas for attached pumps that will reduce their ability to sling waves. I am open to sponging them or compatible guard product.

SmartSelect_20230702_003138_Amazon Shopping.jpg SmartSelect_20230702_003011_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your augmented flow from wavemakers should typically be in the 10-20x tank volume range, ie: 750-1500Gph (total).
Which these are supposed to be significantly below, but they absolutely rip the tank up if I crank them over bare minimum. They are both supposed to be around 320gph max.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the MPC-120 in my 4ft 80 gallon tank. It is definitely powerful. Too powerful by itself, so I added a MPC-90 on the opposite side and it helped to create a more random flow throughout the tank. I find that with some larger wavemakers, you absolutely need multiple in order for them to create a non-linear flow pattern.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which these are supposed to be significantly below, but they absolutely rip the tank up if I crank them over bare minimum. They are both supposed to be around 320gph max.
Just based on the wattage - I don't see them running @320Gph. Maybe 320Gph @10%...

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just based on the wattage - no way. My pair of Reefwave45 gyres draw 7 watts (total) when operating at 10%. And these are rated for 4,000Gph each.
When I plugged my MPC-120 in the first time it proceeded to push water 4ft across the tank, up and over the edge of the tank and onto the floor. Not just a drop either, at least 16floz (going off of what it would look like if I spilled a full bottle of soda on the floor) before I got it turned down. I can back OP's claims.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I plugged my MPC-120 in the first time it proceeded to push water 4ft across the tank, up and over the edge of the tank and onto the floor. Not just a drop either, at least 16floz (going off of what it would look like if I spilled a full bottle of soda on the floor) before I got it turned down. I can back OP's claims.
I suspect they're probably around 3,000Gph - considering the Chinese ripped off the design from Maxspect.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scp 120's are too much flow IMO for a 4ft tank, I ended up going down to a pair of scp 90's.

Those scp120's are running at a minimum of like 1300gph per hour wide some WIDE flow patterns. The minimal setting is 30% of max available flow which is claimed 43-4500gph.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what mine do, it made massive waves and knocked the glass lid up.

Well this sucks because I don't want to buy 2 more right now, I guess I will just stick with the gyre by itself, if I put it on pulse low frequency I do see it seems to flow randomly for most of the tank.

I guess I can switch the big butt powerhead out with my little sicce for mixing water. Goong to miss the control though :(

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what mine do, it made massive waves and knocked the glass lid up.

Well this sucks because I don't want to buy 2 more right now, I guess I will just stick with the gyre by itself, if I put it on pulse low frequency I do see it seems to flow randomly for most of the tank.

I guess I can switch the big butt powerhead out with my little sicce for mixing water. Goong to miss the control though :(
I'm not sure if it will work, but you could disassemble the gyre and remove one impeller. That would lessen the flow. I'm just not sure if it would be noisy or hard on the pump since its unbalanced. I'm guessing not though because RedSea's smaller gyre you can remove one side for smaller tank applicaitons.

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it will work, but you could disassemble the gyre and remove one impeller. That would lessen the flow. I'm just not sure if it would be noisy or hard on the pump since its unbalanced. I'm guessing not though because RedSea's smaller gyre you can remove one side for smaller tank applicaitons.
I'm willing too.

I am also trying to see if I can find some sort of heavy duty sponge to wrap the other and see if that does anything.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm willing too.

I am also trying to see if I can find some sort of heavy duty sponge to wrap the other and see if that does anything.
You could probably just zip tie some coarse sponges over the intakes and that would reduce flow I'm sure. Some cheap sponges for HOB or Canister filters from the pet store would probably work

OP
OP
Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the sponges help? I have 2 of these alternating in a 6’ tank and at the lowest setting I still think it is too much - intending to keep lps & soft corals.
I got the supplies but have not implemented. I ended up moving it to my walt mixing station and got an undersized pump.

However, I do think it will work, and once I get a nem I will be swapping it back in and sponging it up.

Just given how well algae getting stuck to them in just the right way can lower the flow by ~10%.

Actually, what I will probably do is get another gyre a step or 2 down from the 120 model that I have on the opposite end already. My flow currently is 30 seconds one pump on and switch for 30 seconds to the other one on at a time, and my mix of cirals seems to really like it, so I really want to try 2 gyres.

mosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the supplies but have not implemented. I ended up moving it to my walt mixing station and got an undersized pump.

However, I do think it will work, and once I get a nem I will be swapping it back in and sponging it up.

Just given how well algae getting stuck to them in just the right way can lower the flow by ~10%.

Actually, what I will probably do is get another gyre a step or 2 down from the 120 model that I have on the opposite end already. My flow currently is 30 seconds one pump on and switch for 30 seconds to the other one on at a time, and my mix of cirals seems to really like it, so I really want to try 2 gyres.
Thanks for replying - I think I’ll give this a try also - already stepped down from the 180 and don’t really want another set of gyres laying around. but I hope the sponge will take them down a notch. I have no sand on the entire back side of my tank. (trying them vertical, shooting across the back, so the flow is less direct on the areas planned for coral) The 180s were like a washing machine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back