OP
OP
fLajNuT

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False Reading. In a tank that has been running for more than 2 weeks even should never have 8 ppm ammonia. Have you by any chance used prime? that can throw it off.
Well I was dosing ammonia. I dosed like 6 ppm because my reading never changed. That was my fault. But. The test kit also did not work. I think I’m back on track now though. I’m back down to 3ppm ammonia.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cycling...give it some time.

Nice set up. I also just cycled my 75. You have a nice list :)

OP
OP
fLajNuT

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tested at 8 am this morning and my ammonia was at 3ppm. I tested today when I got home from work at 5pm it was at 0.5 ppm. My nitrites are at about between .1-.25. Does this mean I’m cycled?

OP
OP
fLajNuT

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tested at 8 am this morning and my ammonia was at 3ppm. I tested today when I got home from work at 5pm it was at 0.5 ppm. My nitrites are at about between .1-.25. Does this mean I’m cycled?
Just checked my nitrates and they are over 100ppm. What kind of water change is recommended?

OP
OP
fLajNuT

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say 24 hours.
So I did my 75% water change last night and tested nitrite and nitrate this morning. My nitrite was 2ppm and my nitrate was 75ppm. I’m thinking I might need another big water change. I’m also going to check my mixing station to make sure there are no nitrates or nitrites just to make sure I’m not dumping them back in my tank.
My ammonia is at zero. But I don’t want to dose again until I get my nitrates down right?

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did my 75% water change last night and tested nitrite and nitrate this morning. My nitrite was 2ppm and my nitrate was 75ppm. I’m thinking I might need another big water change. I’m also going to check my mixing station to make sure there are no nitrates or nitrites just to make sure I’m not dumping them back in my tank.
My ammonia is at zero. But I don’t want to dose again until I get my nitrates down right?
yeah i'd say test you're mixing station, do another 75% change and then test again. I would put a small amount of ammonia in so not to starve the beneficial bacteria.

OP
OP
fLajNuT

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have gathered that due to the fact that there are nitrites in my tank at 2ppm as of this morning. That it will give me false highs on the nitrate side using the Salifert test kits. So I guess my plan currently it to wait till my nitrites are at 0ppm then test again.

So now my question is when do I start my skimmer. Per the instruction on the Dr. Tim’s bottle your not supposed to use a skimmer.Should I wait to start it once I add fish?

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo I would wait a little bit after adding fish and feeding because that's what it's made to remove too much off. But I'm also an amateur

OP
OP
fLajNuT

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was able to add 2 little guys on Sunday afternoon. Black one is Nyx and the orange one is Ra. They seem to be swimming real hard not sure if my powerheads are to strong for the little guys or what.

also my skimmer is putting out a lot of micro bubbles hoping this goes a way in a bit.
D5C67406-C22E-452F-933E-D711885619BC.jpeg

Last edited:

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the rock looks great! How is the cycling going now that a couple weeks have passed?

OP
OP
fLajNuT

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the rock looks great! How is the cycling going now that a couple weeks have passed?
So I have 2 clowns and a purple firefish. Along with a blue legged hermit. So far my ammonia and nitrites have been great at 0 and my nitrates are actually around 15-20. I’m starting to get some kind of algae forming not sure which yet. Still trying to medicate the fish as the 2 clowns have parasites/worms. I’ve been medicating through food for about 7 days and they seem to still have the parasites/worms. I will continue treatment for the full 21 days. If I see no improvement I may have to use some other medication. We will see. But so far seems to be good. Trying to track down some Trichus snails now, but no one seems to have them anymore, and live aquaria wants and arm and a leg due to shipping cost.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back