Johns first coral adventure Red Sea Reefer 425 XL

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a pic of the puffer and foxface together.
20190824_115157.jpg
That Fox Face is nice John.

OP
OP
leedsrhinojohn

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update.
As im getting closer and closer to adding corals ive sorted out all my lights and wavemakers to how i want them,
Ive set the 2 MP40's to reef crest mode, anti-sync, maximum 60%
Ive set the 2 Gyre 250's to random mode, Maximum 70%, minimum 30%
Ive set the 3 Hydra 26HD lights to the David Saxby settings but have adjusted the on and off times to suit me better.
The foxface and puffer are doing fine in the dt and are now coming out more and showing more natural behaviour.
The purple firefish in the qt is doing fine and showing no sign of disease or stress.
Forgot to mention ive took out my Marine pure block and replaced it with 2 litres of Seachem Matrix, this was purely a space saving thing .
Water params are looking good so cant wait to start adding corals.
Still trying to get my head around my Profilux 4

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update.
As im getting closer and closer to adding corals ive sorted out all my lights and wavemakers to how i want them,
Ive set the 2 MP40's to reef crest mode, anti-sync, maximum 60%
Ive set the 2 Gyre 250's to random mode, Maximum 70%, minimum 30%
Ive set the 3 Hydra 26HD lights to the David Saxby settings but have adjusted the on and off times to suit me better.
The foxface and puffer are doing fine in the dt and are now coming out more and showing more natural behaviour.
The purple firefish in the qt is doing fine and showing no sign of disease or stress.
Forgot to mention ive took out my Marine pure block and replaced it with 2 litres of Seachem Matrix, this was purely a space saving thing .
Water params are looking good so cant wait to start adding corals.
Still trying to get my head around my Profilux 4
Good move on the Seachem Matrix, you will like it. I am also working in the Apex on myy side.

OP
OP
leedsrhinojohn

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good move on the Seachem Matrix, you will like it. I am also working in the Apex on myy side.
Yeah I have it in my Discus filters so thought I would try it in my reef tank, it certainly takes up a lot less space than the Block, how are you finding your apex? last I heard you was waiting for the power bar, if its anything like my ghl then its a massive learning curve especially as im not really tech savvy, I don't think ive even scratched the surface yet with regards to what it can do yet.

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very happy with the Apex, not super intuitive but very straight forward, I having more issues in placing the energy bars because the chiller takes a lot of space.

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely build mate! I went with the RSK 300 skimmer and had a few issues initially with overflowing but once settled I have great functionality with it. I do have to monitor the level it runs at regular. Sometimes it will highten or lower but I put this down to filter floss becoming clogged!

Did you go with the apex? Looking at one! Any alternative units you could suggest? Cheers

OP
OP
leedsrhinojohn

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the ghl profilux 4, must say its a steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it its a fantastic piece of kit, plus there are dedicated ghl forums on here and very helpful people.
I sent my rsk skimmer back and got a Deltec 1000i, so glad I did.
Just waiting for my water to stabilise before I start adding corals as its going to be SPS only.

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the ghl profilux 4, must say its a steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it its a fantastic piece of kit, plus there are dedicated ghl forums on here and very helpful people.
I sent my rsk skimmer back and got a Deltec 1000i, so glad I did.
Just waiting for my water to stabilise before I start adding corals as its going to be SPS only.

Nice! I haven't looked at a ghl profilux 4. The cost of an apex put me off a little tbh. Wicked! SPS only display will be amazing! My reefer 250 will be mainly LPS dominated and softies. I did buy a jack o lantern leptosis which has been growing well. Placed in moderate flow and in a shaded area. Under blues the colours pop! Off to zoa marines today to pick up some new bits.

OP
OP
leedsrhinojohn

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing what swayed me to ghl was that apex in America get the all new 8 plug powerbar while we in uk only get the 6 plug powerbar and it costs us more for an inferior product than the US 8 plug powerbar.
Plus you need a module for virtually everything you control.
Plus it looks cheap plasticy orange and grey.
The GHL looks the dogs gonads and most things can be controlled from a cable.
Definitely look into it mate I think you will be impressed
Are you going to start a tank thread?

DeanoT88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have a look mate cheers!

I have started a tank thread but tbh rushed it and have asked for mods to close it so I can redo one! Rushed it!

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing what swayed me to ghl was that apex in America get the all new 8 plug powerbar while we in uk only get the 6 plug powerbar and it costs us more for an inferior product than the US 8 plug powerbar.
Plus you need a module for virtually everything you control.
Plus it looks cheap plasticy orange and grey.
The GHL looks the dogs gonads and most things can be controlled from a cable.
Definitely look into it mate I think you will be impressed
Are you going to start a tank thread?
So picky John... lol

OP
OP
leedsrhinojohn

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So picky John... lol
Ive got my street cred to think about mate, If I got an apex in its Orange and Grey people might think ive changed allegiance from Leeds Rhino's to Castleford Tigers and if that happened i'd be like a biblical leper, outcast and shamed.

OP
OP
leedsrhinojohn

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update, waiting for icp test to come back before adding corals.
Just found my purple firefish dead in qt tank, only sign of anything wrong is its mouth seemed to have rotted away a bit and left with a sort of brown hard crust, so trying to find out what it could have possibly been but qt has had a complete clean out and scrub, freshwater and fresh sponges in filter so going to lfs this afternoon to see what he has got in and take fish to see if he has any idea what was wrong with fish.

PanchoG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update, waiting for icp test to come back before adding corals.
Just found my purple firefish dead in qt tank, only sign of anything wrong is its mouth seemed to have rotted away a bit and left with a sort of brown hard crust, so trying to find out what it could have possibly been but qt has had a complete clean out and scrub, freshwater and fresh sponges in filter so going to lfs this afternoon to see what he has got in and take fish to see if he has any idea what was wrong with fish.
Sorry for your loss John, let’s see what the LFS guys tell you.

OP
OP
leedsrhinojohn

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss John, let’s see what the LFS guys tell you.
Thanks Pancho
Lfs said its probably something internal but he didn't know what could have caused the mouth to be rotted like that especially as no other creatures or rough or sharp objects in qt tank.
So will add it to the millions of worldwide fish deaths which we will never know why.
On a plus note ive just bought another Purple Firefish to put in qt tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back