OP
OP
R

rzimm33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I decided to do 40lb of live wet rock. I’m also doing 80lb of dry Marco rock.

I also have Caribsea arag-alive special grade sand. I’m hoping this combo helps cycle the tank a bit better than dry rock alone.

mizukage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to do 40lb of live wet rock. I’m also doing 80lb of dry Marco rock.

I also have Caribsea arag-alive special grade sand. I’m hoping this combo helps cycle the tank a bit better than dry rock alone.
Best of both worlds! The live wet rock will definitely speed things up.

OP
OP
R

rzimm33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Best of both worlds! The live wet rock will definitely speed things up.
IMG_4214.jpeg

Luckily I scored some really cool arches and shelf pieces from the LFS

OP
OP
R

rzimm33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got all the Marco rock in. Broke most of it up into smaller pieces.

IMG_4430.jpeg

I left quite a bit of room behind the scape for flow. I plan on adding an additional power head back there if needed.

OP
OP
R

rzimm33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_4442.jpeg
I am curious if anyone has a suggestion for the first chamber of my sump being too full which is bypassing the filter socks

I increase the return pump and then the emergency drain takes over which results in the same level

I decrease the gate valve for the main drain in which the emergency drain takes over and again results in the same level.

Lastly I have attempted taking a gallon out of the tank, and again that far left chamber does not change at all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OP
OP
R

rzimm33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_4442.jpeg
I am curious if anyone has a suggestion for the first chamber of my sump being too full which is bypassing the filter socks

I increase the return pump and then the emergency drain takes over which results in the same level

I decrease the gate valve for the main drain in which the emergency drain takes over and again results in the same level.

Lastly I have attempted taking a gallon out of the tank, and again that far left chamber does not change at all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Got it fixed. Filter socks were dirty

First fish are in. Going to give them a month alone and just let the tank sit.

IMG_4448.jpeg

mizukage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it fixed. Filter socks were dirty

First fish are in. Going to give them a month alone and just let the tank sit.

IMG_4448.jpeg
Dirty socks! That turned out to be a simple fix. Thinking about a fleece roller yet?

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build looking forward to seeing it grow.

I didn’t see it anywhere on here but if those house doors are able to swing open into the tank, that could be a nightmare. What have you put in place to stop that?

I see the ones on the hinges but have you stress tested them some like something bumping the doors hard or someone falling into the door?

Maybe flipping the doors to swing the other ways is an option?

OP
OP
R

rzimm33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dirty socks! That turned out to be a simple fix. Thinking about a fleece roller yet?
I actually have a Reefmat set to the side. I wanted to get the tank running before actually installing it. I’ll probably get it plumbed in within a few weeks

Was completely shocked how fast the socks got clogged.

OP
OP
R

rzimm33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awesome build looking forward to seeing it grow.

I didn’t see it anywhere on here but if those house doors are able to swing open into the tank, that could be a nightmare. What have you put in place to stop that?

I see the ones on the hinges but have you stress tested them some like something bumping the doors hard or someone falling into the door?

Maybe flipping the doors to swing the other ways is an option?
Thank you!

Both doors have 3 safety hinges to help reduce the chance of the doors smacking the tank. I have swung them pretty hard, and the hinges did as they should.

I totally agree with you though, and we wish there was a way completely stop the door.

The door on the left is actually the “cat closet” so it doesn’t get opened very often. We will actually be installing a doggy door there.

The door on the right is to the garage, and unfortunately we cannot change the way it swings open. I have considered a more permanent device to stop the door.

Luckily both door handles are too low to reach the glass. In the worst case scenario, the doors would fly open and the handles would strike the stand.

mizukage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a Reefmat set to the side. I wanted to get the tank running before actually installing it. I’ll probably get it plumbed in within a few weeks

Was completely shocked how fast the socks got clogged.
Yeah they need to be changed every 2-3 days. Did you go with the 500 or 1200 reefmat?

OP
OP
R

rzimm33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah they need to be changed every 2-3 days. Did you go with the 500 or 1200 reefmat?
Went with the 500. Got it for a good deal used.

Got it hooked up, but it won’t connect to my WiFi for some reason. Also the status light is flashing for an unknown reason.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Both doors have 3 safety hinges to help reduce the chance of the doors smacking the tank. I have swung them pretty hard, and the hinges did as they should.

I totally agree with you though, and we wish there was a way completely stop the door.

The door on the left is actually the “cat closet” so it doesn’t get opened very often. We will actually be installing a doggy door there.

The door on the right is to the garage, and unfortunately we cannot change the way it swings open. I have considered a more permanent device to stop the door.

Luckily both door handles are too low to reach the glass. In the worst case scenario, the doors would fly open and the handles would strike the stand.
Well definitely better the stand than glass!

Where those safety hinges strike the wall, you can reinforce so they don’t just dent or puncture what they hit.

You can also put a “permanent” door catch on the floor.

I say permanent because you screw it in, but it can be removed if needed.

mizukage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it all sorted out

IMG_4527.jpeg
that is sweeeeeeet!!! Is there anything happening with that narrow section at the back of the sump? I know normally that's where the water flows into the filter socks and where the emergecency pipe goes into.

OP
OP
R

rzimm33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
that is sweeeeeeet!!! Is there anything happening with that narrow section at the back of the sump? I know normally that's where the water flows into the filter socks and where the emergecency pipe goes into.
Nope, that chamber is going to pointless now except if I ever need to use the emergency drain

I did turn on my protein skimmer last night to play around with it. It was producing tons of micro bubbles which I discovered through research is normal when new. Needs to be broken in.

Well… My ATO decided to throw roughly 10 gallons of RODI into the tank over night. I assume it was due to the micro bubbles interfering with the Osmolator 3 sensor. I turned off the ATO while the protein skimmer goes through its initial phase.

After the incident my salinity level plummeted which I resolved by removing 10 gallons of water and adding salt directly to the tank u til at 1.026. Unfortunately the incident led to the death of one of the clownfish ☹️

I plan on adding a float valve as redundancy to prevent that from happening again.

skey44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh sorry for your loss. I’ve been skeptical of the new osmolator 3 and this adds to that unfortunately. I have a new old stock 3155 tunze osmolator with the backup float valve in my cart at an online vendor. I better snatch that thing up before they’re gone.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back