32 EXT Fiji Cube - Nano Dream Build

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up everyone! It’s good to be back.

I’m a major Nano tank enthusiast.

This is my start into my “dream” nano setup.

IMG_1069.jpeg

IMG_0906.jpeg

Picked up this Fiji Cube from another Southern California reefer on here. Shout out JPK. Awesome deal for the tank and stand! Thanks!

This thread will follow this tanks journey.

Reef will be SPS dominant.

Tank was filled 2/18/24.

Going with a very patient approach for this tank since I went bare bottom and dry rock.

Thanks for checking it out!

Fiji Cube 12 sump

Fiji Cube “medium” refugium

Varios 4 return pump

Jump Gyre 2K

Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite skimmer

Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid with 2 Ai Prime 16

IMG_0750.jpeg IMG_0815.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JustAnotherNanoTank

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts on the Fiji Cube 12 sump.

For my application, it’s exactly what I wanted and I’m happy with it. It left the perfect amount of room for my refugium, kalk, or various dosing.

The Varios 4 return pump fits but not with the guard in place. I’m only running the pump on level 2 (out of 5). The limiting factor is actually the weir teeth can only handle about 400 gal per hour on this tank. I already owned this pump for a previous build but never used it. Figured being overpowered and turned down couldn’t hurt and maybe give some longevity advantages. I have a “Hands On Not In” type of theory. I do very regular maintenance on all of my equipment.

They advertise it for being able to do tanks up to 40 gallons(BRS). I don’t know how much more other tanks drain down after return pump shut off, but on this 32EXT, you cannot run this sump above 9”. At 9” it almost overflows the sump when the return pump shuts off. Luckily I run my sump at 8 1/4” and I’m left with about 1” of room with everything off. Definitely stay aware on your first trial run of the sump/tank and get that return pump back on quick if it gets too close. Remove some water and check again. Eventually you’ll find your safe zone. Yes, you can install check valves into your plumbing. No, check valves are not guaranteed and can get stuck open and let all the water drain anyways and cause an overflow. Yes, check valves limit flow/create head pressure. Those two reasons alone keep me from using them. I’ve included a photo below of the height when return pump is shut off.

Heaters can be challenging to fit so do your research.

My top off tank sits behind the stand and I have about 2 weeks of ATO water. The Tunze 3155 is turned all the way down but due to its minimum run time once it’s activated, the small water volume in the return pump section fluctuates probably 1/2”. Not a big deal but I did have to relocate to safety float switch. The safety float switch also acts as an alarm if my return pump failed.

YOU WILL WANT (NEED) A SKIMMER SAFETY DEVICE! If your return pump were to fail and the skimmer keeps running it will make a huge mess and potentially worse problems.
You can fit a huge skimmer in here, that being said, DON’T JUST BUY A BIG SKIMMER! I’m running a Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite and I already feel that’s as big as I’ll ever need for this tank even when it’s packed with Acros and other SPS. SAVE ROOM FOR OTHER THINGS!

Long story short, it’s a very well made low water volume nano sump. I’m experienced in small volume tanks so I didn’t need a larger size, I needed room for my algae scrubber and dosing setup. If you are particular about things being perfect looking and neat in your filtration area, this sump is a great option(that’s not me if you couldn’t tell. As long as everything is functional and safe, I’m good. I put the panel over the front and enjoy my reef!)

IMG_0922.jpeg

Water level after return pump is shut off
IMG_0942.jpeg

IMG_0926.jpeg IMG_0921.jpeg IMG_0903.jpeg IMG_0901.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JustAnotherNanoTank

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Officially a month in since start up.

I included a picture of how high the water goes once the return pump shuts off.

Water from tank definitely has a yellow tint to it in a white bucket.

Parameters this month
-Ammonia 0
-Nitrite ~.5
-Nitrate ~30
-Phosphate .25
-Alkalinity 9.8
-Salinity 1.026
-Temp 78°F
-I need a PH tester.
IMG_0930.jpeg
IMG_0936.jpeg
IMG_0935.jpeg
IMG_0937.jpeg
IMG_0944.jpeg
IMG_0942.jpeg

OP
OP
JustAnotherNanoTank

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refugium is in!

Fiji Cube “medium” 2.5 gallon refugium.
IMG_0982.jpeg

Usually these are “Hang On Back”. Mine is setting on a base next to the sump with an extension for the waterfall.

Right now I just have Miracle Mud and rock rubble. The screen material will hopefully give a place for algae to grow besides the rocks that can just be removed and cleaned.

I will most likely be putting clean chaeto and copepods from Algae Barn.

I also have adjusted the sump height to run at about 8 3/4” which makes the water come up WAY higher than I want it to ever go if the power goes out.
IMG_0970.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back