32 EXT Fiji Cube -Branching SPS

Looking great! Almost looks like you have an LED strip under the tank lol
Appreciate it! Yeah, the pink light is weird with the tank lights on so I’ve set the schedule to go just dim white while the display lights are on.
 
The refugium is working great as an algae scrubber lol

(The camera makes it look way more green than it is. There is a ton of film algae on the acrylic walls.)
IMG_1050.jpeg


I also built that white foam box to reflect as much light back into the refugium and reduce the light spill. Works decent
 
My phone fits perfect between my lights..

I’m going to need to build a clear platform for top down shots when the flow is off!

IMG_1071.jpeg


IMG_1070.jpeg
 
Ai sent me replacement lenses at no charge. Diodes are still working fine.

This is the violet and UV channel.

IMG_0992.jpeg
 
I haven’t made the choice on which t5 bulbs to run. I either want to do all blue plus or 2 blue plus and 2 true actinic. I feel like I have to get the bulbs to decide.

IMG_1069.jpeg
 
First two tester corals are in! Waited over two months for this!

Purple stylophora and an orange digitata(I think)

IMG_1085.jpeg
 
Looking good! How will you manage testing alk and dosing?
Hannah checker and salifert to back it up for alk. I really want to do kalkwasser for this tank. It will be my first time with kalk so I’m nervous honestly. I will probably do all for reef until demand is higher. Right now Red Sea A and B in tiny amounts are enough. Mostly just the alk right now.
 
I have a question for you...I'm looking to purchase this tank and stand w/o the sump and either get the DIY kit to turn a standard 10 gallon into the sump or get the Fiji -20 sump that has the built-in refugium compartment.

The question is what are the interior dimensions of the stand?
A standard Aqueon 10 gallon is 20.25" x 10.5" x 12.6" and the Fiji-20 sump is 20" x 15" x 16".

Just want to ensure that either of these options will fit under there.

System is looking good so far by the way and looking forward to see how it goes in the future.
 
I will get back to you with exact dimensions later today. There are small screw tabs at the bottom inside of the stand to be aware of that take up about 1/2” of space on each side. I know the 20 will fit because I looked at both.

Side note: Part of me is still really glad I didn’t just fill the whole space with sump. I wanted to do a miracle mud style refugium that has different macro algae, snails, and critters but didn’t want it in my sump. I really nailed it for my needs having the refugium modular and separate because I can quickly and easily disconnect it and pull the whole thing out to clean and service it on the bench without shutting down my tank or disturbing it with debris from cleaning. And it’s doing an amazing job dropping the nutrients down. Just thought I’d share that with you to consider the option. If just want a ball o’ cheato then the 20 sump is great. The extra water volume you get vs the space it takes up and no room for separate refugium/scrubber and calcium reactor/kalk reactor.
 
I have a question for you...I'm looking to purchase this tank and stand w/o the sump and either get the DIY kit to turn a standard 10 gallon into the sump or get the Fiji -20 sump that has the built-in refugium compartment.

The question is what are the interior dimensions of the stand?
A standard Aqueon 10 gallon is 20.25" x 10.5" x 12.6" and the Fiji-20 sump is 20" x 15" x 16".

Just want to ensure that either of these options will fit under there.

System is looking good so far by the way and looking forward to see how it goes in the future.
Also thank you, I look forward to seeing yours! You’ll be extremely happy with a Fiji Cube tank.
 
Big water change time!

I usually only do 5 gallon weekly.

This is how I’ll do really large ones.

Time to get those numbers down some and continue watching this tanks trends.

IMG_0956.jpeg
Ok I have a stack of these I’m not using, but I’ve been using a single 44gal for e v e r y T h I n g. How ya runnin this?
 
Ok I have a stack of these I’m not using, but I’ve been using a single 44gal for e v e r y T h I n g. How ya runnin this?
I drop in a sicce syncra 3.0 so about 750 gph and a 50 watt heater that I use regardless of water change size. When you have two tubs the same size that you know don’t leak and aren’t like brittle from the sun, you know exactly how much to drain out of your tank based on how much new you have in the big bin. I put a hose on a sicce syncra 1.0 to pump as much of the water into the display as I can after I’ve drained it down. Always give your water plenty time to mix and try to match and or have your goal cal/alk/mag set already. Don’t be making adjustments to the new water right before using it. Basically, I go overboard lol
 
Updates for the system.

The refugium worked too well and dropped my phosphate and nitrate to near 0. Removed the screen material and now slowly bringing the nutrients into the zone I prefer.

I’ll be doing cheato soon since the refugium went through its “ugly phase” and is cruising now. I think the cheato is going to tumble like a ball with the flow I have in it. Time to try it.


I wish I had grabbed a photo of how full of algae it got. When I went to clean it I had to just get it done. Luckily a felt filter sock holds in place for the waterfall of the refugium preventing debris from getting into the sump.

IMG_1142.jpeg


IMG_1135.jpeg
 
Protein skimmer stuff.

I stopped using the Bubble magus curve 5 elite. It was just too large for my set up and I could not run the water level high enough in my sump for it. It needs at minimum 9” and honestly I think 9.5” to not dump a ton of micro bubbles into the sump. If you had bubble mesh in a baffle it would help that, but my setup doesn’t allow for it to be implemented in a decent way I’d like. That being said, I got a tiny skimmer and it’s been great!

Fiji Cube NSK-70 protein skimmer.

Been running for over a week and working great!
IMG_1143.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new