Juvenile Porcupine Puffer Help

Leanna2992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a young puffer (he is roughly 3 inches long), and I am having a rough time getting him to eat. The LFS said they were feeding him clams (I found it a little hard to believe since his mouth is so tiny).

I tried numerous different things: clams, crab, crawfish, and squid. All regular and soaked in garlic.

Overall he is doing fine currently, but I want to get ahead of the issue before it’s too late.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s not unusual for them to stop eating/revert back to eating only live foods when they are stressed and moved to a new environment. I recommend feeding live foods to get a feeding response such as live ghost shrimp, small crabs, etc. if that doesn’t work then I would treat for a parasitic infection especially if they are super skinny.

OP
OP
L

Leanna2992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two juvenile tangs (hippo and purple) (they are very mellow and stay just in their rock area, Diamond goby, engineer goby, and a long nose butterfly.
In this tank all his mates are very reserved, my most active is my Diamond.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might need to try some live ghost shrimp to elicit a feeding response. I’ve never had a Porc not go for them.

After he starts eating you can feed small pieces of raw shrimp. My Porc also loves nori.

OP
OP
L

Leanna2992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not unusual for them to stop eating/revert back to eating only live foods when they are stressed and moved to a new environment. I recommend feeding live foods to get a feeding response such as live ghost shrimp, small crabs, etc. if that doesn’t work then I would treat for a parasitic infection especially if they are super skinny.
I am treating just incase. I am struggling finding ghost shrimp or small crabs (things similar to that) online. Where I live we don’t have stores that carry those things readily.

Looking online the only sites I am coming across are ones I am not familiar with at all. Any suggestions of who to buy from?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am treating just incase. I am struggling finding ghost shrimp or small crabs (things similar to that) online. Where I live we don’t have stores that carry those things readily.

Looking online the only sites I am coming across are ones I am not familiar with at all. Any suggestions of who to buy from?
Do you have a Petco near you with a fish section? You should be able to find ghost shrimp or crawfish even if freshwater that’s okay to get a feeding response. If they have a saltwater section they usually sell small emerald or fiddler crabs as well. You can also do brine shrimp they will be small but if culture your own you can let them grow. Salty Bottom Reef Co. or eBay. Also you can go to a freshwater fish store or Petsmart for the ghost shrimp. Although they are a different species they can eat them.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 112 43.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 123 47.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 11 4.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.1%
Back