Kalk Dosing Question - lowering my reliance on 2 part.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I currently have a SPS dominant tank and my dose of 2 part (ESV) is going up and up. (currently dosing 85ml of each). I'd like to lower the use of my 2 part and replace that with Kalk. My plan is to get a Kalk Stirrer/Reactor and use a Versa dosing pump to control the dose. My goal would be to cut my 2 part dose in half to 40ml a day.

What I don't know how to do is estimate how much Kalk I need to dose? Also am I okay to dose both products through out the day or should I dose them at different time periods through out the day? I could dose the Kalk at night to off set the PH drop and dose the 2 part during the day.

Tank is 140g, current ALK is 8.6 Calcium is 435

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I currently have a SPS dominant tank and my dose of 2 part (ESV) is going up and up. (currently dosing 85ml of each). I'd like to lower the use of my 2 part and replace that with Kalk. My plan is to get a Kalk Stirrer/Reactor and use a Versa dosing pump to control the dose. My goal would be to cut my 2 part dose in half to 40ml a day.

What I don't know how to do is estimate how much Kalk I need to dose? Also am I okay to dose both products through out the day or should I dose them at different time periods through out the day? I could dose the Kalk at night to off set the PH drop and dose the 2 part during the day.

Tank is 140g, current ALK is 8.6 Calcium is 435

3.1 liters of saturated calcium hydroxide provides the same alk and calcium as 45 mL of normal B-ionic.

Assuming the stirrer can generate saturated kalkwasser (some seem unable to, but they never tell you this)), then that's where I'd start.

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So you can do all your evaporation water through the kalk stirrer, or just a bucket of saturated kalk water for that matter, then make up the difference in 2 part. Yes, the evaporation rate does change throughout the year, but I’ve found the swings are slow and it doesn’t affect my coral. If your already using a lot of 2 part, the max evaporative dose of saturated kalk water shouldn’t be driving levels higher than your demand. YMMV, but this is what I do.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3.1 liters of saturated calcium hydroxide provides the same alk and calcium as 45 mL of normal B-ionic.

Assuming the stirrer can generate saturated kalkwasser (some seem unable to, but they never tell you this)), then that's where I'd start.
Hi Randy, thank you for the answer.

I have one more question. Is there a ratio of ml of Kalk to ml of 2 part? I'm trying to figure out how to slowly lower my 2-part. From your reply it looks like 69ml of Kalk to every 1ml of 2part? or is there more to the calculation then my basic math skills? lol.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you can do all your evaporation water through the kalk stirrer, or just a bucket of saturated kalk water for that matter, then make up the difference in 2 part. Yes, the evaporation rate does change throughout the year, but I’ve found the swings are slow and it doesn’t affect my coral. If your already using a lot of 2 part, the max evaporative dose of saturated kalk water shouldn’t be driving levels higher than your demand. YMMV, but this is what I do.
When I used to run a CalRx I used to do this but I'd prefer to start doing this via a doser as it will also make a more controlled transition. Once I see how that goes I might go the ATO route and just run it through the stirrer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, thank you for the answer.

I have one more question. Is there a ratio of ml of Kalk to ml of 2 part? I'm trying to figure out how to slowly lower my 2-part. From your reply it looks like 69ml of Kalk to every 1ml of 2part? or is there more to the calculation then my basic math skills? lol.

I gave the ratio in post 2 (the 69 you mention is correct) for ESV two part, but other two parts will have a different ratio.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Hi again @Randy Holmes-Farley I've been using the Kalk stirrer now for a few days. I am only seeing a very small increase in PH while dosing at night. I'm wondering if your above comment is the issue and the stirrer isn't producing Saturated Kalk? My Alk is also dropping from where it was.

Last night I dosed 2.4l of Kalk over 4 hours and my PH only rose .04 I thought it would have had a much larger impact. around .1 - .15

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
High aeration can limit the expected rise.

Do you have a conductivity meter that can read around 10 mS/cm to check the kalkwasser? A pH meter can work as well.
So interestingly enough. I bought a second PH probe Saturday just as a back up in case I ever had an issue dosing Kalk. When I calibrated it, it came in way lower then my current PH Probe. So I calibrated my old probe and it failed to calibrate?

So I had a Salifert PH test kit that also showed my PH being very low. So I just stopped at my LFS and got another probe to replace my original and a few bags of PH reference solution so I can calibrate both probes again.

Once I’m do we with this I’ll stick the probe in the stirrer to see what the PH is.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To usefully know anything about kalkwasser potency by pH, you need to compare it to a for sure saturated solution (say, 2 teaspoons in a cup of ro/di). Then look at the difference.
Okay, I just put the probe in the Stirrer and the PH was 12.2. I’ll now do as you suggested above.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To usefully know anything about kalkwasser potency by pH, you need to compare it to a for sure saturated solution (say, 2 teaspoons in a cup of ro/di). Then look at the difference.

I installed the new PH probe to replace my old one and both probes now read similar values. So I know I have a good PH reading.

Next unused the Probe to check the Kalk values and the PH in the Stirrer and in the saturated solution, you mentioned above, and both are 12.2 so I assume I’m getting max saturated solution from the stirrer.

I checked my external airline to my skimmer and it was clogged so I wasn’t getting good fresh air so I hope that will help my PH.

I currently still dose my ESV 2 part on a 24hr cycle. However, I only dose Kalk at night. Do you think it would be better to dose the 2 part during the opposite time of the Kalk to help PH?

Thank you again for your time and help.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley so after not being impressed with the Kalk Stirrer I mixed up a 10 gallon batch of kalk and dosed from that and the difference was night and day. Alk is higher, PH is higher. It's almost as if the Stirrer was dosing RO water.

When dosing through the stirrer at night my PH couldn't get above 7.8, when I changed to the 10 gallon bucket my PH went up to 8.0. My Alk also came back up to my normal level of 9.0, with the Stirrer it was down to 7.9.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley so after not being impressed with the Kalk Stirrer I mixed up a 10 gallon batch of kalk and dosed from that and the difference was night and day. Alk is higher, PH is higher. It's almost as if the Stirrer was dosing RO water.

When dosing through the stirrer at night my PH couldn't get above 7.8, when I changed to the 10 gallon bucket my PH went up to 8.0. My Alk also came back up to my normal level of 9.0, with the Stirrer it was down to 7.9.

Glad things are working out. :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 76.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back