Keeping multiple wrasse together

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to put a couple wrasses together in my 58 gallon tank. Do any of you wrasse experts think I could do this and be ok? I wanted to put 2 of the Paracheilinus species specifically cyaneus and mccoskeri. Both are males - I thought I had seen people keep multiple male wrasses together, just didn't know if they had to be from defferent species or if it needed to be a larger tank.

If it matters I currently have a purple firefish, yellow fang blennie, and a red head gobie.

Thanks for looking
Patrick

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you put them in at the same time I don't see this being an issue. I had a buddy who had 7 different wrasses, flashers and fairy wrasses, in a 55. without any issues.

mrgreenthumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only wrasse i've experienced problems with is the six line. He wouldn't allow any other wrasses into my 90 gal. Chased my supermale lineatus right out of the tank....twice!!!!! I agree with roshi, less chance of a problem if you add them at the same time! I will say no gaurntee's as they are fish, and every single fish has its on personality and characterisitics!!

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 on my cube.. The last one I added it got chased for a day and now they are all doing ok .. ( I did turn off the lights when I introduced the last one ) .. Planning on adding more as we speak :)

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got

1 Yellow Coris (BIG MALE)
1 Lineatus (MALE - CITY BUS SIZED)
1 Golden Rhomboid (MEDIUM-LARGE MALE)
1 Hawaiian Flame (LARGE SUPERMALE)
1 Hawaiian Flame (MEDIUM FEMALE)
1 Lubbocks (SMALL MALE)

and had another small female flame...jumped...punished, and fed to the rhyzo.

This was all in a 48" x 24" x 12" 60 gallon with no issues at all.

OP
OP
salt newbie01

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet!! That's what I wanted to hear. Of course all fish are different and there are no gaurantees but atleast it is feasible.

Just for fun what wrasses do you keep together or have you kept together with success?

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mystery wrasse kill every single fish in my tank!

but many many others have had great, stand up citizens....mine however was public enemy #1

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pat these will look sweet in your tank bro!

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jr nice wrasse list....Im interested on what can you share /experience with this one

thanks

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got him from Marv, but so far has been a stand up tank mate.

No issues, eats like a horse, looks like a whale shark moving about the tank.

Jr nice wrasse list....Im interested on what can you share /experience with this one

thanks

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice to hear that . I just called my LFS and they don't have it .. the one that does is 1hr away from me...

Thanks Jr for the input

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really hit or miss on the wrasses. Some are really mean some are nice. My lineatus chased my male flame out of the tank. The lineatus is now relegated to my frag tank. And I have to find a new flame wrasse.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've always had a few wrasses mixed up in my tanks... they normally get along together.. what are the dimensions of the 58g? I'm so glad Junior gave my Lineatus and Rhomboid a good home... can't wait for them to be on a 300g tank... I wished I could've kept them but with the smaller tank, the Lineatus started chasing the Rhomboid after 6 months of co existing with no problem... currently, I'm keeping a trio of HI Flame wrasse... 1 huge male and 2 small females... seem to be a happier crowd now... :)

with your flasher wrasse selection, they should be alright... even better if you introduce them at the same time or as close as possible so nobody becomes more dominant... make sure your tank is covered though.. they will find any small hole they can fit in and will jump out... good luck... :)

OP
OP
salt newbie01

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input.

Marvin the tank is 36"x18"x21" (LxWxH)

And I do have a wood canopy with mesh over the back and vents. No way a fish is getting out of there. So glad to see several people keeping h. flame wrasses. I got a pair 9 months agao or so but they had some sort of bacterial infection and died. Major bummer. They have to be one of the most striking wrasse available.

I do plan to dd these at the same time. I am anxious to get them - I have missed having a wrasse in the tank.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input.

Marvin the tank is 36"x18"x21" (LxWxH)

And I do have a wood canopy with mesh over the back and vents. No way a fish is getting out of there. So glad to see several people keeping h. flame wrasses. I got a pair 9 months agao or so but they had some sort of bacterial infection and died. Major bummer. They have to be one of the most striking wrasse available.

I do plan to dd these at the same time. I am anxious to get them - I have missed having a wrasse in the tank.
that tank should be a good home for the flashers... :)

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 65g I had

pair of hi flames
female yellow coris
pair possum wrasse
bluestar leopard wrasse
red sea 8 line
female exquisite
female blue sided

I had the take the exquisite out because she attacked every other female wrasse in the tank.

OP
OP
salt newbie01

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are the exquisite wrasses typically aggressive? I was thinking of trying one in the mix - mainly because they are so unique looking and very different looking from the ones I already intend to get.

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exqusites are usally very calm for fairy wrasses..but keep in mind that the do lose alot of thier colors without a few females in the tank..the fairys that are green and blue fade the most without females...also if you can not add all the wrasses at the same time use a acclimation or specimen cup and keep the new one in there for a few days to let the ones in the tank get use to the new guy..it has worked for me a ton of times and i was able to keep fairys that looked like each other in the same tank....but i think your tank should be just fine to keep the two flashers you want

OP
OP
salt newbie01

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
exqusites are usally very calm for fairy wrasses..but keep in mind that the do lose alot of thier colors without a few females in the tank..the fairys that are green and blue fade the most without females...also if you can not add all the wrasses at the same time use a acclimation or specimen cup and keep the new one in there for a few days to let the ones in the tank get use to the new guy..it has worked for me a ton of times and i was able to keep fairys that looked like each other in the same tank....but i think your tank should be just fine to keep the two flashers you want

Good to know about the green and blue morphs. I just don't think I have the room for females as well. So I will forgo the exquisite wrasse. I thought adding a Cirrhilabrus species would be a nice complement to the others - same but different. I may keep looking and try to add a different Cirrhilabrus species at a later date with your method listed above. Maybe a whip fin or long fin when I find one.

Thanks for all the advice

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back