Keeping Mustang Seahorse in Refugium

rawbomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I've been considering adding Mustang Seahorses to my 60-gallon display refugium, and I could use some advice. In the past, I had dismissed the idea due to temperature concerns. However, Seahorse.com recommends keeping them in temperatures ranging from 75-77 degrees Fahrenheit, which happens to align with the temperature range of my tank. I just wanted to double-check if it's indeed safe to keep this species at those temperatures.

Regarding the rest of my livestock, I have a 300-gallon display tank, and I'm currently quarantining everything before introducing them, including corals and invertebrates. I've had a negative experience with velvet in the past, which is what led me to explore Seahorse.com. They claim that all their seahorses have undergone a thorough quarantine process. Additionally, they mention that the seahorses are already eating frozen mysis, although there is also a substantial population of pods in their environment.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or feedback regarding the feasibility and advisability of introducing Mustang Seahorses under these circumstances. Thanks in advance!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going the quarantine route I'd stick with that (not sure what's all involved for seahorses). I wouldn't trust "fully quarantined" any further than my fish can jump...

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep my temps below 74 to avoid Vibrio outbreaks. Vibrio is a bacteria that normally occurs in all types of water. Over 74 they bacteria becomes more aggressive and seahorses don’t have great defense systems as far as bacterial infections. You may want to add a small pump with a 3d printed pump guard to give them flow. Better to keep at least two. They are highly social animals and typically do better with at least another seahorse :)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the idea! been trying to set up a SH tanks for years finally got one up and running. just finishing up the cycle.
anyway... like I said love the idea but not sure it will work out long term. can the survive in reef temps yes but like said about its best practice to keep below 74.

not sure how well the SH will do with a all bac. from the fish?
most long term if not all Sh keepers have a dedicated system just fro them.

if you go for it do have a build therad so we can fallow along.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back