Keeping Seahorses in Aquaria #3 - Stocking Your Seahorse Tank: What to Add Other Than the Ponies

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brighthitch-fishrforme.jpg

Photo by @FishRForMe

In our previous article on Keeping Seahorses in Aquaria, we examined the process of aquascaping and achieving the excellent water quality. In this third article of our 6-part series, we will explore options for stocking your seahorse tank (looking at options other than the ponies themselves). This will include things like CUC (clean-up crew), corals, macroalgaes, fish, and other livestock.

1.jpg

Once your aquarium is set up, filled with synthetic saltwater where the salinity is between 1.023 and 1.025 specific gravity, and the LR is in and fully cycled, then you are ready to add a CUC . This is a good time to seed the aquarium with copepods and amphipods, especially if the system has a fuge where they can propagate without being preyed upon by the ponies. If the system does not have a fuge then it is wise to give the pods at least several months to get well established before adding seahorses.

With seahorses, most crabs are considered unsafe, since an inadvertent pinch could start a skin infection. The one exception to the ‘no crab rule’ is the small red or blue-legged reef crabs. All other crabs are a risk.

ElectricBlueHermit ultimatereef.jpg

photo of bluelegged hermit via ultimatereef.net

Snails are a good choice. Trochus, nerites, ceriths, astrea, and nassarius all can be a tremendous help in a seahorse aquarium.

snail.jpg

Nassarius Snail

cerith.jpg

Cerith Snail

trochus.jpg

Trochus Snail

Some cleaner shrimp, particularly peppermints can be a great addition to a CUC. Other cleaner shrimp can be a bit overzealous about cleaning the seahorses and this can be stressful to some ponies. Peppermint shrimp usually do not do this and are excellent at finding trapped food and keeping the aquarium clean of decaying mysis. Some specimens also will eat any aiptasia that might pop up. Just be sure to choose larger specimens, or your ponies may view them as an expensive dinner rather than part of the janitorial staff!

shrimp.jpg

Nudibranchs, sea hares, and cucumbers can all be safe choices if there is no possibility of them being sucked into a power head pump or suffer some other violent death. If they are traumatized they can give off a toxin that can poison the tank, so consider this risk before choosing one. Also, research to make sure that your tank can sustain the creature of choice. Many varieties quickly deplete a tank of the food that they eat and then suffer a slow starvation.

It is best to buy only a small amount of CUC at this stage since the aquarium is only beginning to get established. Start small and add as there is a need for more CUC. Many online vendors send out premade packages of CUC that contain more creatures than necessary for newly set up tanks. If your CUC is too large, then after a couple of weeks when all the algae in the tank is consumed, many of the organisms perish from starvation. Worse still is their decomposing bodies cause a chain reaction that can actually result in more algae!

This next section has to do with adorning the seahorse aquarium with appropriate foliage, coral or artificial décor. Things to keep in mind are that seahorses spend much of their time hitched and so they should be provided with lots of hitches to choose from. Avoid anything that is sharp and could potentially cut or pierce the ponies’ skin.

gorg.jpg

Seahorses are influenced by the colors of their surroundings. Hitches chosen in bright yellows, oranges, reds and other colors can possibly encourage those colors in your seahorses. It is not a sure thing because it also has to do with the natural pigments that a seahorse has along with hormonal and other environmental factors. For instance, stress can very definitely impact your ponies’ color. Most seahorse keepers enjoy seeing their herd displaying vibrant colors and choosing colorful hitches can help.

yellowmatchhitch-fishrforme.jpg

Photo by @FishRForMe

brighthitch-baeya.jpg

Photo by @baeya

When adorning the seahorse tank the aquarist must decide whether they will use artificial décor, live coral, or a mixture of both. Much of this decision depends on the preferences of the aquarist.

Artificial décor can be very realistic in appearance and natural looking without the hassles of providing the right lighting, food and proper flow. It can be easily cleaned when necessary and is generally more budget friendly than live coral. A tank with artificial coral can immediately have a mature established appearance.

fakedecor-fishforme.jpg

Photo by @FishRForMe

hitch-bethany97.jpeg

Photo by @Bethany97

Some aquarists enjoy keeping coral and macroalgae almost as much as fish. They like the natural appearance and the challenge of meeting the needs of live coral and macros. This can add a very satisfying element to keeping seahorses but it does require keeping in mind that the needs of the seahorses must come first. For instance, not all coral are seahorse safe. Seahorses should never share a tank with stinging coral of any kind. Also, the needs of some coral may conflict with the needs of the seahorses. Never compromise the needs of the seahorses to accommodate a particular coral. Good corals to choose for a seahorse tank are leathers, palys, zoas, most mushrooms, xenia, green star polyp, clove polyps, duncans, blastos, pagoda cup, and gorgonians. Most of these are hardy and will thrive in cooler water temperatures. Most macroalgae are seahorse safe and will also do well in water temperatures suitable for ponies. The biggest concern with macroalgae is that it be kept pruned and controlled. Husbandry must be extra diligent when keeping live coral and macros because excess food and detritus can be caught or trapped in them. It is advisable to use a turkey baster or powerhead to blow off all rock, coral and macros at least once a week.

coralsmacro.jpg

Seahorses can share accommodations with some fish if precautions are heeded. These fish should be quiet, gentle species—like gobies, some blennies and some cardinalfish. Quick darting or aggressive species are to be avoided. The ponies could be stressed by the fish’s constant movement or even have trouble competing for food. Seahorse.org has a list of potential tankmates for seahorses and they are rated on a scale. This can give you guidance when choosing tank mates. Additionally, I would add everything discussed in this article before the ponies except the fish. Even gentle fish can be a bit territorial, but most fish respect inhabitants who resided in the tank before themselves. So, any fish additions should be added after the ponies.

cardinalfish-seahorsekeeper.jpg

Photo by @SeahorseKeeper

Another important practice when adding any fish is to properly QT (quarantine) it to assure that it will not introduce pathogens to your ponies. All fish should go through a process of QT for at least 7 weeks to make sure they are pathogen free. CB (captive bred) seahorses have not been exposed to the pathogens that WC (wild caught) fish have. Even CB fish from a different source should be QT’d. This is a very important practice if you want to keep your herd healthy. Remember, seahorses are at a disadvantage when fighting off any diseases!

You now have a beautiful aquarium that is perfectly adapted to provide a wonderful home for seahorses. All you need are ponies to make it complete!

Be sure to check out the next article in this series: Keeping Seahorses in Aquaria #4 - Selecting Your Ponies!

2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great article! Thank you!

So, you recommend adding everything, fish included, before the seahorses?

And we were planning on adding a sand sifting starfish and a conch. They should be fine, right?

Also, Duncan corals won't sting the seahorses?

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this series! I currently have a 36g bow front with two Erectus, a pair of ocellaris, 1 red fire fish, cuc (no crabs. Blue legs were annoying Bonnie and Clyde) zoas, gorgs, sponges, singulara, riccordia, mushrooms, and a few other pony safe corals. My question is about the safety of duncan coral. I thought these were not pony safe.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great installment Dawn. Thank you for writing these!

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. I can't wait to get my ponies. I'm hopping to get them some time next month. Working on stocking corals now. Are ricordea mushrooms safe? What mushrooms are not safe. I was also surprised about the Duncan's being sea horse safe.

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article. I can't wait to get my ponies. I'm hopping to get them some time next month. Working on stocking corals now. Are ricordea mushrooms safe? What mushrooms are not safe. I was also surprised about the Duncan's being sea horse safe.
Ricordeas are perfectly safe for them. It's the elephant ear mushrooms you want to avoid; they are known to eat small fish, including seahorses.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great article! Thank you!

So, you recommend adding everything, fish included, before the seahorses?

And we were planning on adding a sand sifting starfish and a conch. They should be fine, right?

Also, Duncan corals won't sting the seahorses?
I am sorry this reply is so tardy! Actually I would add everything before the ponies except the fish. All fish should be QT for at least 7 weeks to make sure they are pathogen free. Even gentle fish can be a bit territorial but most fish respect inhabitants who resided in the tank before themselves. Small varieties of sandsifters are general fine with seahorses. Conches should also be alright.

Duncans are usually considered ok although there are folks who avoid them.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this series! I currently have a 36g bow front with two Erectus, a pair of ocellaris, 1 red fire fish, cuc (no crabs. Blue legs were annoying Bonnie and Clyde) zoas, gorgs, sponges, singulara, riccordia, mushrooms, and a few other pony safe corals. My question is about the safety of duncan coral. I thought these were not pony safe.
Duncans are sort of like acans in that some folks avoid them with seahorses and others keep them without incident. In my opinion I would keep duncans before acans because they do not have sweeper tentacles. However that being said, I do not have duncans in my seahorse tank just because there is some question regarding them.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember how excited I was when I was stocking my seahorse tank and a month away from ordering my ponies. JLynn is correct about elephant ear mushrooms. They can get quite large and eat small fish or seahorses. All other mushrooms are fine however as are ricordia.
Seahorse folks have differing opinions on duncan coral. Some keep them without incident since they don't sting. I have in the past. Other folks avoid them preferring to err on the safe side.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordeas are perfectly safe for them. It's the elephant ear mushrooms you want to avoid; they are known to eat small fish, including seahorses.
Hi JLynn, thanks for jumping in with helping to answer this question. :)

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what macro s do you recommend. I have some dragons breath currently but I would like to add a free variety too. Something I can attach and it will not go crazy. In fine trimming but within reason.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bi-valves are not a good idea with seahorses. Ponies will hitch on anything and they could irritate a scallop. I have read where seahorses hitched on clams and the clam closed and both species perished.

Halimeda is a good calcerous macro that won't go crazy. I also like red grape caulerpa (which is not a true caulerpa at all) because it makes very nice hitches for the seahorses. There is blue scroll. All of these are controllable if your nutrients are kept in check.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I missed it, I apologize, but are feather dusters ok with seahorses?
Yes, I don't believe that I mentioned feather dusters but they can make a very nice addition to seahorse tanks.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NPS corals? Do they sting?
Most of them do not sting, examples being gorgs, carnation/tree coral, and cup coral. However they rely on being fed to meet their energy needs and so extreme care must be taken not to degrade the tank water and putting the seahorses in jeopardy.

Seahorsekelly69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article! I might add that while the article is absolutely right, a new seahorse keeper might want to limit the other aspects of the tank that require care. As the author stated, if you're not sure about other fish/coral, don't add them. Different seahorses have different personalities, so getting to know your particular ponies is a good idea before adding items that will need their own feeding or different care is advised. Also asking the person who's selling the seahorses what type of tank they come from (parameters, other live stock, type of water, etc) gives you the opportunity to mimic their previous surroundings, which will minimize stress. With seahorses, its really important to avoid stress, because that's when they get sick.

Also, I recently had a nasty aptasia outbreak, and now quarantine all macros before adding to the pony tanks. Hitchhikers can ruin everything you've created, so finding and removing them before they're in the tank is ideal! (aptasia will only come out when there's food, so add a carbon source to the QT).

Very well written! May I refer people here to read more about tank set up in the description of my video?

Seahorsekelly69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what macro s do you recommend. I have some dragons breath currently but I would like to add a free variety too. Something I can attach and it will not go crazy. In fine trimming but within reason.

Botryocladia, just about any Halymenia sp, blue scroll, codium, cymopolia barbata, and Halimeda are my favs :). Gracilaria sp are excellent for nutrient removal, but have a tendency to overgrow/outcompete the others

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back