Kessil H80 Questions (Mounting/Controlling)

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! @crabs_mcjones you seem to be the Kessil guru, so tagging you ;)

I am looking into getting the H80 for some chaeto growth (and maybe other macro eventually) and was curious about some mounting situations. I don't really want a lot of spillover into other chambers, so the included canopy mount is a no go, as that is way too high off the water level. I feel I would get the same results with the gooseneck mounted off side of sump also. Sooo.... Can you mount the gooseneck upside down? I could potentially hang it from the stand and it might be lower. If not, is there a hanging kit of some sort available for this light? I can't seem to find one, but wasn't sure if anyone has come up with something for that.

Second: controlling with my Apex. I currently have a Varios pump on a skimmer that uses the Icecap Y module cable, and is using 1 of the 1/8" male connectors. Could I use the other one of those 1/8", or do I need the single 1/8" to ethernet style jack for full control?

Thanks!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! @crabs_mcjones you seem to be the Kessil guru, so tagging you ;)

I am looking into getting the H80 for some chaeto growth (and maybe other macro eventually) and was curious about some mounting situations. I don't really want a lot of spillover into other chambers, so the included canopy mount is a no go, as that is way too high off the water level. I feel I would get the same results with the gooseneck mounted off side of sump also. Sooo.... Can you mount the gooseneck upside down? I could potentially hang it from the stand and it might be lower. If not, is there a hanging kit of some sort available for this light? I can't seem to find one, but wasn't sure if anyone has come up with something for that.

Second: controlling with my Apex. I currently have a Varios pump on a skimmer that uses the Icecap Y module cable, and is using 1 of the 1/8" male connectors. Could I use the other one of those 1/8", or do I need the single 1/8" to ethernet style jack for full control?

Thanks!
How big is the refugium area you're looking to cover? The gooseneck can be mounted any which way works for you :) When I had the H80 I had mine clamped to a piece of the wood on my stand as the sump baffle and side wouldn't work for my application. Mounting you'll want the light anywhere from 4 to 8" off the waters surface depended on your fuge size on the grow setting, which will put out your red and blue spectrum for chlorophyll A and B. Aside from a DIY, there isn't really any hanging kits for the H80 as of yet. But it doesn't appear that one will be coming out anytime soon :( You could custom make something similar to the AI Prime HD hanging kit using aluminum For controlling, any 0-10V output on your apex will work. I believe there is a specific cable you're able to get for it. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kessil-a360-control-cable-type-1-neptune-apex.html

OP
OP
themcfreak

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response! Its a Trigger 39, so Fuge section is 10.5″ x 15.5″. And I could try mounting the goose neck from the base of the stand, hadn't considered that. But good to know it is reversible. Hanging is probably better though, because I could hang directly over and as low as I wanted.

For controller, I know there is that cord, but wasn't sure if I needed, since I already have the Y cable that feeds Varios. Does a Y cable split mean that I don't get full control vs a non Y cable? (That may be Apex specific, and not necessarily a Kessil question).

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response! Its a Trigger 39, so Fuge section is 10.5″ x 15.5″. And I could try mounting the goose neck from the base of the stand, hadn't considered that. But good to know it is reversible. Hanging is probably better though, because I could hang directly over and as low as I wanted.

For controller, I know there is that cord, but wasn't sure if I needed, since I already have the Y cable that feeds Varios. Does a Y cable split mean that I don't get full control vs a non Y cable? (That may be Apex specific, and not necessarily a Kessil question).
I'm not 100% familiar with the apex control. But I believe the kessil would need its own port. otherwise as the pump ramps up and down the kessil will do the same...I think lol

dmreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@themcfreak, did you determine whether the Y cable could control both the Kessil and the Varios? My understanding is that each Apex 0-10v port could manage 2 devices separately via programming...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back