KH Director and logic of adaptive mode

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SoNap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I currently have some trouble to understand th logic used by the KH director to balance my alcalinity.
Usually the meassuring works pretty stable (with some random swings each couple of weeks).

But what I can't really not understand is the applied adjustment per dosage after each new measurement.
My alaclinity dropped over 48 hours ago from 7.5 to 7.0.
I'm measuring 6 times a day.
And during all of this time the adjustment per dosage is not rasied higher then 20-30 percent and I'm wondering why?
This way it will take years to raise this again to 7.5.

As I said I use the adaptive mode and let it adjust each dosage by 50% (lower and upper limit 100%).
I'm dosing 24 times a day 8,7ml per dosage.

So since over 48 hours it only increased each dosage by just 2ml - 2,2ml.

According to my settings it should be possible to increase the adjustment far higher, right?

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know the same thing. Got KH Director up and running, measuring since mid-November. Still didn't let it control Alk, but thought about doing so. However, I'm not sure how to adjust, basically have the same concerns as above.

OP
OP
S

SoNap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case I let GHL control my alcalinity since around one year and this was basically also working if my alc drops from my target 7,5 to around 7,3 or 7,2. In such a case the adaptive mode with my above settings was always able to adjust the dosings in a way that this difference is handled within a couple of hours.

But somehow, once it drops below a certain threshold (in my case under 7,2 -> or let's say once there is a difference from around 0,4 - 0,5), the adjustements per dosage done by GHL are not sufficient anymore.
But from what I understand and with my current settings, there should be still enough room to raise the adjustement even higher. But even after some days days GHL is still not thinking that this is needed and I don't really get it.

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to have been able to stabilise it. The first thing I did was lower the "When parameter deviates by this amount" from standard 1 dkH to 0.2 dkH
Adjust is 50%
Limit raise is still 100%, Limit lower is still 100%

This seems to have made the whole setup much more sensitive and adjusting more precisely.
What you are saying above sounds as if your rate of dosing is too low and the system cannot adjust high enough. You might want to check whether dosing is increased to the max allowable (i.e. 100%) as when it drops below a certain level it's not sufficient anymore.

You can then either increase the limit of 100% to 150% or 200% (I wouldn't advise that), or simply increase the daily dosing amount slowly. Eventually after a couple of tests and dosings it should reach the desired level and be able to keep it there.

Reading your post again it seems you're doing everything right though, so I'd like to hear if any updates?

OP
OP
S

SoNap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also adjusted the "When parameter deviates by this amount" property from standard 1 dkH to 0.2 dkH (as you suggested) and I'm monitoring this since a couple of days. I can confirm so far that this looks now much better and I can only see swings from 7,5 to 7,4 but not below. So it keeps it now stable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back