Krylon Fusion For Plastic Paint is NO More, Did you use anything else?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So the Krylon Fusion For Plastic Paint is discontinued and nearly impossible to find.

Some sellers are charging upwards of $30 per can but I don't want to buy old stock that will probably splatter out of the nozzle.

Need to paint PVC pipe assembly that's going over the tank to make it "disappear"

Did you use a different paint for PVC pipes & fittings with great results?

Do share.

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Krylon Fusion For Plastic Paint is discontinued and nearly impossible to find.

Some sellers are charging upwards of $30 per can but I don't want to buy old stock that will probably splatter out of the nozzle.

Need to paint PVC pipe assembly that's going over the tank to make it "disappear"

Did you use a different paint for PVC pipes & fittings with great results?

Do share.
The “for plastic” line was condensed into the “all in one” krylon fusion, which can be found at your local lowes for 8 bucks a can in every sheen and color. Use that, its reef safe. In fact, most spray paints are reef safe as long you give it proper time to cure and do the proper cleaning/sanding to get a good bond.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Krylon Color Maxx and Fusion work great and they are perfect color match for each other. I just got done using it to mod an Aquamaxx biopellet reactor:

20230210_121144.jpg 20230210_121304.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Krylon Color Maxx and Fusion work great and they are perfect color match for each other. I just got done using it to mod an Aquamaxx biopellet reactor:

Thanks for your response.

I saw the colormaxx but this doesn't leave that warm and fuzzy feeling when reading reviews. People complain of bubbles after second code, long dry time (tackiness) and peeling coating. I've never seen so many bad reviews with "worst paint ever"

Do I just chuck it to poor prep on people's behalf? How long have you been using it. any cracking/peeling?

Once I glue this manifold in place, there is no going back to re-do it after the tank is setup if there are problems. I just want to be sure.

What prep do you do before applying? How many coats and how long do you wait between coats?

1676052882155.png

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For plastics, I clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol and let dry. Then I spray from about 10 - 12" away in sweeping motions to apply thin coats. Repeat as necessary until I'm comfortable with the end result. Ensure that your cans are at room temp before you use them. You can submerge them in tepid water for a bit. Also, if using a new can, make sure to spray on a a piece of scrap cardboard first to get it flowing.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The “for plastic” line was condensed into the “all in one” krylon fusion, which can be found at your local lowes for 8 bucks a can in every sheen and color. Use that, its reef safe. In fact, most spray paints are reef safe as long you give it proper time to cure and do the proper cleaning/sanding to get a good bond.

That's the problem, a lot of the reviewers are stating that it's nothing like the old line of product which worked perfectly.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's the problem, a lot of the reviewers are stating that it's nothing like the old line of product which worked perfectly.
Just take tour time and don't rush it. You should be fine. I think that most of the disappointment with rattle can results stems from poor technique and impatience. Here are some close ups of the finish on that reactor I showed before in better lighting. Parson the dust on it, as it has been sitting in my garage for about a week or so.

Attachments

• 20230210_132715.jpg
    20230210_132715.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 20230210_132709.jpg
    20230210_132709.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 192
OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
For plastics, I clean the surface with isopropyl alcohol and let dry. Then I spray from about 10 - 12" away in sweeping motions to apply thin coats. Repeat as necessary until I'm comfortable with the end result. Ensure that your cans are at room temp before you use them. You can submerge them in tepid water for a bit. Also, if using a new can, make sure to spray on a a piece of scrap cardboard first to get it flowing.

So you dont sand it at all?

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the plastic, but not generally, no.

If not sanded and painted surface was subject to expansion/contraction by pressure or heat/cold etc and/or flexing/vibrations paint could peel.
Most painters recommend 400 grit prep sand before paint. Of course materials differ and some require sealers before primers etc. If paints for example contain metallic and are painted over certain materials well wrap a nickle in aluminum foil and place your aluminum wrapped nickle into a reef tank.

Do I just chuck it to poor prep on people's behalf? How long have you been using it. any cracking/peeling?

Too many unknown variables.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Always. Add. Unions.

Agreed. I have like 20 in the project but in this one place I just CAN'T. I am going into the tank to glue in in place and that's it. If I used union there would never be a way to reach/service it in that location if there was a leak or need to disassemble.

It's a return that goes into a manifold on top of the tank. Tank is 32" front to back and 7 feet long - there is just no reaching it once the rocks/water go in.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed. I have like 20 in the project but in this one place I just CAN'T. I am going into the tank to glue in in place and that's it. If I used union there would never be a way to reach/service it in that location if there was a leak or need to disassemble.

It's a return to goes into a manifold on top of the tank. Tank is 32" front to back and 7 feet long - there is just no reaching there once the rocks/water go in.
Yeah, completely understandable in that case.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's a return that goes into a manifold on top of the tank. Tank is 32" front to back and 7 feet long - there is just no reaching it once the rocks/water go in.
I understand. I'm setting up a 60"x30" tank and had it custom made with the overflow on a back corner instead of back center because I wanted to be able to easily access.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find krylon either, so I used rustoleum from home depot, I used it on 2 tanks, and both have been up for more than a year and no issue's, no peeling or fading or anything, so far.

OP
OP
BZOFIQ

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Picked up Fusion last Friday but got a visit from Wuhan Labs so everything is on hold.

Either way, appreciate the replies - will post pics when done.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picked up Fusion last Friday but got a visit from Wuhan Labs so everything is on hold.

Either way, appreciate the replies - will post pics when done.
Speedy recovery. All the best for a minor case.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back