Labridaedicteds 180 Build

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Labridaedicted, Feb 17, 2017.

1. mckinleyw

mckinleyw AIRBORNE REEFER R2R Supporter Tampa Bay Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Im following

Labridaedicted likes this.

2. Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Love following.

3. oceanfreak09

oceanfreak09 Well-Known Member

Hi, I have enjoyed reading your build thread and i like the concept of a doser feeding refrigerated foods, what I don’t understand is how food doesn’t go bad in the dosing lines between dosing.

4. Labridaedicted

Labridaedicted Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

That was the most difficult problem I had to overcome on the auto feeder. So what I did was connected the 1/2" feed to the manifold which has constant circulation (which is what you see as the pvc and braided vinyl in the pictures). The pvc is actually run from the outside of the fridge and I drilled through (careful to avoid any coolant coils or wires) so the constant flow feed is inside the fridge. I put the murloc t's for the feeding tubes inline on the pvc so the dosing lines never go outside the fridge. The feed line discharges directly above the return pump intake, so the food is then distributed through the tank by my 4 return outlets ensuring everyone gets food.

As a note, the best food for this type of set up is the Reef Nutrition refrigerated foods since they stay in suspension without need for shaking or stirring.

I attached a few more pictures of this set up to this post. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Labridaedicted

Labridaedicted Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

thanks for following everyone! Hope it has continued to be as exciting for everyone else as it has been for me!

Maritimer likes this.
  6. oceanfreak09

oceanfreak09 Well-Known Member

-So inside the fridge is your manifold with Constantly circulating tank water from your system.
    -Then the doser lines are injected into the manifold which is then expelled by your return pump and shot out 4 return outlets!!

I love it!! That Ingenious!! I really like how your build is far from basic!! Totally my style! Great job!

7. Labridaedicted

Exactly! I try to automate as much as possible since sometimes I work odd hours.

oceanfreak09 likes this.
  8. Labridaedicted

It's been a little while since I posted, but thought I'd put together a little update.

Since I last updated the build thread, some of you guys and gals may have seen my posts concerning my White Tailed Bristletooth Tang basically going crazy. He basically decided he didn't like my pintail or my lineatus wrasses as well as my shrimp goby. It kind of happened overnight but after that, I found the lineatus in the overflow box and the pintail wouldn't come out of the rocks. The goby would get five bombed as soon as he poked his head out. So, I had to pull the tang. I didn't want to, since he is awesome, but I can't have a wrasse bully in my tank. I used an aquamedic large trap and rubber banded nori to a piece of pvc. I put the trap on the sand and grabbed a beer. It took a few days of this method, but I did get him out. He's in the frag tank now until I decide what I'm going to do with him. As soon as I pulled him, though, all the bullied fish came back out and are behaving (mostly) normally now. The lineatus is still acting very timid now a couple of weeks later, but he did recieve the worst of the aggression so he may have some kind of complex now that will take some time to get over.

I've also been filling up the frag tank pretty well. I picked up several aquacultured acro colonies of various kinds. I also finally broke down and got a jawbreaker shroom. I got a Valentine's day massacre in shroom. It looks awesome, and the mother looked even cooler. It's still small though, so the purple still hasn't started developing yet, but it is craaaaaazy bright red. The color on my chalices have also continued to develop (so much so that the bgm chalice pretty much looks Photoshopped when I turn up the blues...)

I ordered my harem of lyretails. I ordered 7 (1 male and 6 female) but lost one female in shipping. They've been in qt and have undergone prazi and observation for a few weeks and I plan to introduce them this week (which will get an update, again)

The copperband is still eating bloodworms soaked in selcon, but I just can't get him eating mysis. He's still got the fuge to himself since I'm not happy with his eating.

Thanks again, everyone, for following![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Maritimer likes this.
  9. Labridaedicted

Got a new toy!!! Picked up a Neptune PMK and am going to start doing some par mapping and curves for different parts of the tank. Will also help me dial in my light acclimation for corals in the frag tank. Very excited! I also got the anthias in the tank as you can see in the tank pic, but they'll get a photo shoot later.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Maritimer likes this.
  10. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

nice new toy! I want to buy a par meter...some day

11. Labridaedicted

So far I'm happy with it, I mapped out most of the tank at my current peak. I'm going to ramp it up a bit more after seeing my readings. I'll post what I mapped out, later.

mdbannister likes this.
  12. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

looking forward to seeing your par map!

13. Labridaedicted

Did these pictures show up for everyone else? My phone shows x's but my tablet is displaying the pictures

14. Maritimer

Maritimer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

Photos show up on my PC...

~Bruce

15. Labridaedicted

Hey gang! Sorry for the lengthy downtime between posts! Went home to NC for thanksgiving and work was a tad busy around the holidays. Anyways... I transferred BUNCH of stuff from the frag tank to the display today. I was putting it off because epoxying corals is one of the most annoying tasks in the world to me, haha. I did get baseline par readings around peak. I haven't had a chance to do curves yet for the various colonies, but that is on my to do list. Likely not until after christmas, though, because... well.... christmas. It's busy round here. Here's some pics.

Also, the anthias broke out shortly after introduction to the dt despite quarantine and passed very quickly..... nor sure what it was, but the other fish are unaffected... a little dissapointed at that, but alas, I'll try again later and do a longer observation period after the medicated quarantine.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Maritimer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted