Lattice sponge or LR die off?

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I know this is a terrible photo but I am trying to ID this and have sort of narrowed it down to either a leather lattice sponge or just "live rock die off"
They have substance to them ... Not like a cobweb ... Some with holes some not
Is photo too bad? White stuff in bottom left .. Can you see it?
image.jpeg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets find out what's going on my friend.

How long is this like this?
Tank is running how long?
Did you use live rock or dry rock?

[HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like die off to me, had the same on my "premium" FIJI live rock.

OP
OP
BummersReef

BummersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets find out what's going on my friend.

How long is this like this?
Tank is running how long?
Did you use live rock or dry rock?

[HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG]
(you guys/gals are the best) Here is a little bit better photo ... it's the white/transluscent stuff with holes
I noticed it about 3 days ago...
We set up the tank about 10 days ago with half live rock from LFS (it was very fresh, no smell etc... they keep it in a big heated, filtered bin) and the rest was dry rock (half of the dry was BRS reef saver and the other was bleached used dry rock from a guy we know that we bleached and rinsed etc and it was very clean) The white stuff is on a piece of the live rock from the LFS which also appears to have coraline algae and also a nice big living feather duster and few smaller other small type feather dusters. The piece of rock that has the white stuff also has a little light brown hairy algae on it. you can see that in the pic. Tank is heated to about 78 and has a good power head running on it. we just use a florescent light during the day. It has not yet been sumped (as we have to do the plumbing in basement so we are just being patient for a nice long cyle)
Tanks parameters have been tested twice with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite and <2 nitrate. Phosphate was .5 on Friday and we added phosguard bag and it was down to .01 yesterday. KH was 6 yesterday but just tested that and it is up to 8 today after adding seachem fusion 2 yesterday.

IMG_2273.JPG

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back