LED Part and Heat

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering adding another LED strip to my tank, fluval flex 32.5 with a fluval marine 3.0. Would running 2 fixtures at 50% have more PAR and give off more heat than say 1 light strip at 100%? I am thinking more in terms of heat because my tank has a tight fitting hood but also do not want to sacrifice PAR. I am not looking for anything exact about this specific light and I am sure there might be some sweet spots between 50-100%, but I am curious in the more general aspects of LED lighting. Thanks!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering adding another LED strip to my tank, fluval flex 32.5 with a fluval marine 3.0. Would running 2 fixtures at 50% have more PAR and give off more heat than say 1 light strip at 100%? I am thinking more in terms of heat because my tank has a tight fitting hood but also do not want to sacrifice PAR. I am not looking for anything exact about this specific light and I am sure there might be some sweet spots between 50-100%, but I am curious in the more general aspects of LED lighting. Thanks!
Well good question.. ;)
Only real advice would be to keep in mind that a 50% decrease in average current (PWM dimming only cuts current in an on off fashion, doesn't exactly reduce current ) isn't a 50% decrease in photons since the cooler you run them the more efficient they become. Well more like the more efficient they get the cooler they are.. :)

Bottom line is 2 lights at 50% give out more par than 1 light at 100% so to keep the same par you can reduce the lights below 50%.

As a guess then you can run 2 lights at 40% (2 x 40 = 80% so heat is 20% less) and have the same amount of light as one at 100%
Exactly how low you can go is something that would need to be metered.
Most led heat is "up" w/ little or no IR heating.
Concentrated photons of most any color do impart energy to "stuff" so there is some down heating.. and a lot in a tight beam..think magnifying glass and sunlight.
bigger the diodes (3w vs .5W) the stronger the beam if lensed the same.

Practically speaking in a tightly enclosed setting doubt if 2 vs 1 will make much of a difference but you do gain more surface area to remove heat (still needs somewhere to go) and more light spread.

Apologies for the simplification.

a-Light-output-power-versus-injected-current-L-I-curve-and-b-external-quantum.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back