LED Spread to narrow for aquascape?

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a new 60 gallon cube reef and I am having trouble deciding what LEDs to get because of my rockscape. As you can see from the picture the top rock is basically the size of a dinner plate and I am concerned with the size of the LED units (basically being the same width as the rock) this will block much of the light. I understand directly under the overhang(s) there will be a shadow I just dont want the top rock to cast a shadow over the entire bottom of the tank. I know I can hang the light higher but, then I am afraid I will lose the penetration.

I will be running 2 MP10w ES and right now the front runner is the Radion because I like the fact it can sync with the pumps and the colors options rather than just blue and white. This will be predominantly SPS with a few clams on the bottom (Deresa, Maxima)

Should this even be a concern?

2012-02-11_08-35-49_429.jpg

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mount the LED to toward the front of the tank and slightly angle it so it will shine under the overhang as well.

If you were doing a DIY I'd say to add a single strip of light to the front of the heatsink and spin it so it fills in the overhang while still leaving the main light to shine from the top.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some pretty cool aquascaping. I agree with cdness on the placement of the LEDs.

CJ

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The dimmer area looks like a good spot for lower light corals. :D The brightness of the top rock would aggrivate me though.

I must say though that is one of the nicer aquascaping jobs I have seen!

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it took ALOT of epoxy, zip ties and a threaded nylon rod going through the middle of the structure.

I do like the idea of angling a Radion slightly, however, I am wandering if this is even necessary. As long as I get good coverage of the light hitting the sand bed and the other 3 shelves where I will have corals, I am happy.

I was also thinking about going with 2 AI Sol blues and have them on left and right side of the top rock. My only complaint is these only come in blue and white. After seeing a comparison at my LFS of LEDs with the reds and greens mixed in with the blue and whites directly next to LEDs with just blue and white I am sold on the additional colors.

Nanoreefbro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mount the LED to toward the front of the tank and slightly angle it so it will shine under the overhang as well.

If you were doing a DIY I'd say to add a single strip of light to the front of the heatsink and spin it so it fills in the overhang while still leaving the main light to shine from the top.

+1.....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any updates?

OP
OP
A

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

I ordered the Radion. When I get it I am going to hang out whichever way I get the best coverage. I have a build thread in the member tank section under "andrew's cube" where I will post a pic once the light is hung.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back