Lee-mar 350gallon Starfire. Need help ASAP

Lbfnp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 1 year old 350 gallon Lee-mar tank. Coming through our front door on furniture movers it got tweaked somehow and caused a spider fracture at one of the bulkhead holes that was drilled for a CL. The glass is 1" thick. The sides are 3/4" Starfire all the way around. How can we replace this ourselves? Anyone with any experience? No one in Arizona does aquarium repairs. I am just sick about it. I am hoping we can repair it our selfs.
I have 2 thoughts: 1) cut out the bottom and replace it. But how? 2) take the euro bracing off the top add another 1" piece on top the spidered on and then put the euro bracing back on.
Please any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Laura

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics might help. Can't visualize what needs to be done....

OP
OP
Lbfnp

Lbfnp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here is the picture, I hope

OP
OP
Lbfnp

Lbfnp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This covers about 35" of an eight foot tank. I can get glass to replace it. I just am not sure how to do it correctly. Called Lee-Mar but they wouldn't answer any question at all. It is sitting in the middle of my living room now and will have to stay there to fix it if at all possible.

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, did you have a contract with these furniture movers? were they insured?

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure that's a ton and half of water, maybe over two tons all totaled, water, glass, rock and sand. Even for an experienced individual, and perfect conditions, that just seems daunting to me that it could be repaired and have the same integrity. When you consider the costs and risk, exploring every avenue, like filing a claim with the moving company, seems wise. Of course if it was not a contracted move, and there's no way your home owners insurance would step in, then repair may be your only option I guess. In that case I would not do your option 2. I would replace the whole bottom. I myself have no experience whatsoever however. Many here do though, so just wait and see who chimes in. Sorry.

inurocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had no recourse with the movers. I would buy glass and rebuild but I would test fill out doors for sure. Make no mistake this will be a huge job and take lots of time. You might check for local glass shops you my find someone in that trade who can help you. Bad turn of luck I hope you have a good outcome.

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brad Syphus's 335 gallon, 6 foot Leemar cracked on the bottom as well. He had a local fish store replace the bottom panel in his home. You might want to contact him and ask how they did it. I know they had to get Leemars special sealant and they ordered the bottom panel and somehow did it successfully.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty, I would take it to a tank builder. That's a big tank with a lot of water and I wouldn't risk it unless you really know what you are doing. Leemar is pretty quick with repairs. I just had them fix my rimless tank that had a small crack on a glass panel. Took a week. I know it's a bit of a drive for you but I bet it would be less of a hassle than cleaning up a bunch of water on the floor. Just my two cents!

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your movers are bonded and insured and will pay to replace that whole tank, I wouldn't feel comfortable with all of the damage that can be caused filling up a faulty aquarium with 300+ gallons of water. You do want to be able to sleep at night.

While the functionality of closed loop holes on the bottom pane make sense as far as flow, they weaken the integrity of the tank exponentially. Just one faulty piece of plumbing and there's no recourse of shutting off the flow. It's essentially an open line coming from the bottom of the tank, under every gallon of the water. I'm very surprised that tank builders will drill them.

I know that's not what you want to hear, I guess if you get anything out of this, I would suggest should you replace the bottom pane, you might consider and reconsider if you want those holes re-drilled on the bottom.

OP
OP
Lbfnp

Lbfnp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no moving company just family and friends.. I do not want the CL holes re drilled. Was planning on capping them off. I just wish there was someone here in Arizona who knew how to do aquarium repairs. I will call Lee-Mar again and see if I can buy some of their special sealant. My husband are going to try and replace the bottom with 1" glass. If that does not work I guess we will drive to California and take it to Lee-Mar ourselves. But if antone has any knowledge of replacing the bottom it would be very much appreciated. That's my Christmas sitting in the middle of my living room.. Very disheartened..thanks to everyone who has replied. Will update on our progress.

OP
OP
Lbfnp

Lbfnp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AJsTank- do you know how I can contact Brad Syphus? Or anyone see know.. Maybe he can contact me.

Poriferan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done repairs/rebuilds on smaller tanks. If the side panels sit on top of the bottom piece you can remove ALL the old glass and sealant. This is critical to get it completely clean. The new adhesive will not adhere to the old stuff very well. The type of adhesive is also critical. This is not something silicone can hold. For neat lines use painters tape before you use the adhesive. I think if the table is perfectly flat you could lay the bead then get a bunch of people with glass suction cups to lower the sides down onto the bottom panel. Then run the bead around the inside and wait until it is perfectly dry. If the side panels attach to the bottom from the sides you have a whole different beast. *disclaimer* I am no expert, this is just what I read and from my experience with smaller tanks.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they won't unless you want them to fix the tank. They aren't going to help you fix it on your own...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 113 73.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back