Lets see your diy calcium reactors.

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to build a diy calcium reactor out of an old media reactor I have laying around. I think i have the concept of the reactor itself down pretty well. I'm not sure I fully understand the co2 regulator side of things.

I understand the need for a regulator to control the amount of co2 going into the reactor. Im assuming this is what will determine the ph of the reactor. I plan to use a ph probe and my apex to control the reactor.

My thinking is I can regulate pressure/flow to a slightly lower ph than what I am after, and use a solenoid to open and close the flow of co2 in order to fine tune the ph. For instance, set the reactor to a ph of around 6.9, then use the solenoid to keep it closer to 7.0. Is this pheasable? Do I really need a flow meter/metering valve and a bubble counter?

Then its just a matter of pushing tank water through the reactor at a rate that meets the tanks alk/ca demands, correct?

Also, I'm assuming I can use a set flow rate on the effluent pump, and adjust alk/ca by raising or lowering ph?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 84 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back