Let's try that again--lab photos of unknown coral.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the files were to big and I didn't realize they got dropped.

coral oneSmall.jpg coral twoSmall.jpg

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s unknown? Looks like a regular dendronepthea.

Nope. it's not. I hadn't been able to ID it so I sent photos to a biologist who co-wrote the book on soft corals. He said there were aspects about it that he'd never seen before (there are large spaces between the sclerites) and I've been trying to get photos good enough for him to analyze. Also, it appears to have brown in the polyps at the base and some of the stem, which suggests photos synthetic. It behaves like an almost completely photosynthetic coral. He said he thought it could be a Stereonephthya except for the odd spaces. The polyps are also behave like tube worms. Grabbing, popping in and out, very quickly at times. "Pulse" if you will.
Conclusion? Possibly a whole new species, he doesn't know yet. He's going to send stuff off to another expert in the field then let me know if he needs tissue samples.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. it's not. I hadn't been able to ID it so I sent photos to a biologist who co-wrote the book on soft corals. He said there were aspects about it that he'd never seen before (there are large spaces between the sclerites) and I've been trying to get photos good enough for him to analyze. Also, it appears to have brown in the polyps at the base and some of the stem, which suggests photos synthetic. It behaves like an almost completely photosynthetic coral. He said he thought it could be a Stereonephthya except for the odd spaces. The polyps are also behave like tube worms. Grabbing, popping in and out, very quickly at times. "Pulse" if you will.
Conclusion? Possibly a whole new species, he doesn't know yet. He's going to send stuff off to another expert in the field then let me know if he needs tissue samples.
Thanks for sharing, comrade, beautiful coral

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back